Freedom of Information Act 2000
1. Who we are and what we do
This section provides information on the institution, how it is organised, the structures of its boards and committees, its physical location and contact details for some senior individuals on these committees. The section also includes information on the legal status of the institution where specific functions fit in the overall structure of the organisation.
1.1 Legal framework
This part of the list contains information relating to the legal and corporate status of the University. Information in this class is accessible through the website and in paper copies of University publications that are available on request.
No charges will be made for paper copies.
The UK legal framework for the Higher Education Corporation of the University of Portsmouth
The Education Reform Act 1988 and the Further and Higher Education Act 1992 set out how universities must be constituted. Copies of both of these pieces of legislation are available online from the National Archives.
The Instrument and Articles of Government of the University
These can be found on our Board of Governors "About Us" page. Instruments of Government sets out the constitution for, the officers and role, of the Board of Governors. The Articles set out the rules for the conduct of the University, procedures for the Board of Governors and Academic Council, the appointment of senior officers of the University, and other matters.
General Factual Information about the University of Portsmouth:
About us - Leadership & Governance, Corporate Information, University Structure
The Institution - Facts & Figures, Our History, University in the City
University Archive - Historical records covering the University and its preceding institutions
1.2 How the University is organised
This section includes information about the management and structure of the University. It includes a description of the Statutory Bodies within the University and the organisational structure, together with a description of the work of each unit. The section also includes information on the terms of reference, membership and description of all boards and committees.
- The Board of Governors
- Board of Governors: Statement of Primary Responsibilities - this document sets out the responsibilities of the Board of Governors
- Standing Orders of the Board of Governors and its Committees - supplementing the information in the Instrument and Articles of Government
- Further information about the Board of Governors
- Governors' Committee Structure - a list of the Governors' committees and reporting lines
- Academic Council - terms of reference and responsibilities of the Academic Council - paper copies available on request
- University Executive Board - the Constitution of the Directorate
- Organisational Structure Charts - Reporting lines and Committee responsibilities
- Senior staff - list of senior staff
- Faculty structure - organisational chart showing the Faculty structure
- Central services - a list of all the Central service departments
- Academic Committee structure - an organisation chart showing the academic committees
The terms of reference and membership of the following academic boards and committees are currently available in paper format, on request:
- Academic Policy Committee
- Academic Policy & Quality Group
- Curriculum Committee
- Ethics Committee
- Equality & Diversity Committee
- Health & Safety Committee
- Information Technology Committee
- International Committee
- Library Committee
- Quality Assurance Committee
- Research Degrees Committee
- Student Support & Advice Committee
- University Learning & Teaching Committee
- University Research & Knowledge Transfer Committee
1.3 Location and contact details
This section includes details of the location and photographs of University buildings in Portsmouth, as well as maps and contact details.
1.4 Lists of, and information relating to, organisations which the university has responsibility for, those it works in partnership with, those it sponsors and companies wholly owned by it
Companies wholly owned by University of Portsmouth
- University of Portsmouth Enterprise Limited [UPEL]
- University of Portsmouth Investments Limited [UPIL]
- University of Portsmouth Services Limited [UPSL]
- Technology Enterprises Portsmouth Limited [TEPL], incorporating:
- Portsmouth Technopol Limited
- Portsmouth Technopol (Holding) Limited
- ASTA Technology Limited
Companies with which the University of Portsmouth works
1.5 Student activities
The majority of student clubs, associations and non-academic organisations are run by the University of Portsmouth's Students' Union.