Postgraduate Fees and Funding - University of Portsmouth
Application, fees & funding

Postgraduate fees and funding

Tuition fees and study costs
Master's funding
Research degree and PHD funding
PGCE funding

Tuition fees and study costs

To do a postgraduate course like a Master’s, research degree or PGCE, you need to make sure you have enough money to cover your tuition fees and other study costs.

You’ll also need to cover your living costs while you complete your course.

The cost of your course tuition fees will depend on which course you do. You can find out the tuition fees for your course in the ‘key facts’ section on the relevant course page.

You can also find out additional study costs you’ll need to consider before you apply on each course page.

Don’t worry if you’re not sure how to fund your course yet. This guide looks at all your options.

Paying your tuition fees

You can pay your tuition fees:

  • in full at the beginning of each academic year
  • in 2 instalments each academic year in October to March
  • in 3 instalments each academic year at the start of each term (at the same time you get your postgraduate loan payments)

You can pay online by card or by Direct Debit. 

Back to top

Master's funding

Most students fund their Master’s degree with a Government Postgraduate Master's Loan.

There are also many scholarships and bursaries you can use to fund all or some of your course, including our Master’s Scholarship.

Find out more about funding your Master’s degree below.

Funding a Master's (MArch) in Architecture

If you’re studying MArch Architecture, you can usually get undergraduate student funding instead of postgraduate funding. But you'll need to start your MArch course within three years of completing your undergraduate degree.

Postgraduate Master's Loans

Postgraduate Master's Loans are Government loans you can use for tuition fees, living costs and other course costs. The loan is paid directly to you.

Postgraduate Master's Loans aren’t based on your or your family’s income. So you can choose how much you borrow up to £10,609 per course.

You start repaying your loan after your course when your annual income is more than £21,000.


To be eligible for a Postgraduate Master's Loan you must be under the age of 60 at the start of your course and be a UK or EU national who lives in England or Wales.

You also need to be studying an eligible course. Most of the Master’s courses we run are eligible for a Postgraduate Master's Loan. If a course isn't eligible it will say so on the course page.

Applying for a Postgraduate Master's Loan

If you’re an English or EU national, apply online through Student Finance England.

If you’re a Welsh national, apply online through Student Finance Wales.

To be eligible for funding from Student Finance England, you must be studying on an eligible course at a provider registered with the Office for Students (OfS). The OfS is the new independent regulator for higher education in England and all higher education providers need to register with the OfS for their students to be eligible for student support in the 2019-20 academic year. 

The OfS will start publishing providers on its Register from July 2018. We have made an application to register and expect a decision by September 2018. No provider will be able to confirm whether student support is available until it has a decision from the OfS. Visit the OfS website for more information.

The relevant guidance is on page 8 of Regulatory Advice 2: Registration of Current Providers for 2019-20).

Scholarships and bursaries for Master's courses

You can use scholarships and bursaries to fund all or some of your course, depending on how much you get.

You don't need to pay them back, unlike with loans.

Master’s Scholarship

You could get £2,000 off your course tuition fee with our Master's Scholarship when you do an MA, MSc, MRes, MPA or LLM course at the University in 2018/19.

Portsmouth Business School Scholarship

The Portsmouth Business School Scholarship awards a 40% discount off any tuition fee relating to a full-time or part-time 180 credit postgraduate course in our Business School, but excludes distance learning or 'top up' courses.

MSc Social Work bursary

If you’re a UK student studying an MSc in Social Work, you may be able to get a bursary from the NHS Business Services Authority.

The bursary consists of a basic grant of up to £4,052 towards your course tuition fees and £3,362 towards your living costs.

You could also get a further maintenance grant of up to £2,721, depending on your circumstances.

You can apply for this bursary on the NHS Business Services Authority website.

Alumni Scholarships

If you've studied at the University of Portsmouth on an undergraduate programme before, you may be able to get a 20% discount off your course tuition fee.

Use our alumni scholarship checker to see if you and the course you want to study are eligible for this scholarship.

If you're a final year undergraduate student at the University, you may be able to get the Master's Scholarship for current final year students.

Other sources of Master’s funding

Some organisations, charities and trusts offer other bursaries and grants, often to high-performing students or people from disadvantaged backgrounds.

You can search for other sources of Master’s funding on The Alternative Guide to Postgraduate Funding website. To register, you'll need your email address and our PIN – 7517.

You can also use the following publications, which you can access at local libraries:

  • Educational Grants Directory
  • Charities Digest
  • Grants Register
  • Directory of Grant Making Trusts

Staff discounts

If you or one or both of your parents works at the University, you can get a 30% discount on course fees.

Back to top

Research degree and PHD funding

To find out how to fund your research degree or PHD, see our funding your research section.

You'll find details about research council studentships and bursaries, postgraduate doctoral loans and guidance on finding a funded PhD project at Portsmouth.

Back to top

PGCE funding

If you’re doing a PGCE, you can get undergraduate student funding (such as a tuition fee loan and a maintenance loan) to fund your course.

Depending on your circumstances and the course you do, you may also be able to get one of the following bursaries. You won’t need to pay these back.

Further Education and Training PGCE bursary

If you're doing a full-time Further Education and Training PGCE you could get a University of Portsmouth Bursary of £750, depending on your income.

If you will be specialising in teaching Maths or English you could also qualify for a bursary of up to £25,000 from the Department of Education.

Secondary PGCE bursaries

If you’re training to teach at a secondary school, you may be able to get a bursary of up to £26,000 from the Department of Education on the following courses:

The amount depends on the subject you study and how well you did in your undergraduate degree. Choose a subject above to find out more.

Back to top

Back to top

Find out more about how to apply and how to fund your studies

Back to top

University of Portsmouth
University House
Winston Churchill Avenue
Portsmouth PO1 2UP

T: +44 (0)23 9284 8484