Student and a member of staff

Application, Fees & Funding

Undergraduate Fees and Funding

star Fees and costs

In 2017/18 tuition fees for full-time undergraduate students from the UK and EU are £9,250 for all courses. Details of fees for part-time students and international fees can be found on individual course pages.

Your choice to study for a degree is an investment in your future. We want to help you understand the fees involved and how it's calculated so that you can plan ahead for your time at university.

For more details read our tuition fee terms and conditions

Your university studies will entail some additional costs that you will need to allow for when planning your budget. Some costs are common to all courses of study and include things like the study texts and other costs relate to your specific course and include field trips, materials and specialist equipment.

Additional Study Costs 2016-2017 pdf 272kb

Read this document to get a full picture of any additional cost that you might need to consider for undergraduate 2016 entry.


Additional Study Costs 2017-2018 pdf 152kb

This document details any additional costs that you may have to cover for specific courses.


Staff family members discount

A 30% discount is available on fees for children of staff, on undergraduate and postgraduate taught, full-time and part-time study.

Children of University staff are defined as biological, step or adopted, aged under 25 on 31 August in each academic year of registration.

Application is necessary for each year of registration.

Contact us

Student Finance Centre
T: General Enquiries
+44 (0)23 9284 3014
Fees & Bursaries Information Helpline:
+44 (0)23 9284 3052 - search "money"

Investing to transform futures

Find out how the University is funded and how money is spent.

Back To Top

star UK and EU Students

Funding for full-time students from England

In order to receive the support below you must meet eligibility requirements.

Tuition Fee Loan

We have set our tuition fees for UK/EU students starting in 2017 on our full-time undergraduate degree courses at £9,250. Tuition fees may be subject to an annual increase. You can apply for a non income-assessed loan to cover your tuition fees. You won’t have to start repaying this loan until the April after you finish your course, if your income is over £21,000 per year (gross). Most students from England choose to take out a tuition fee loan.

If you prefer, you can arrange to pay your tuition fees without taking a loan or you can pay part of your fees and apply for a reduced loan to cover the remainder.

Maintenance Loan

You can also apply for a maintenance loan to help with your living costs. The amount of maintenance loan you can receive will depend on where you live whilst studying and your assessed household income. The loan is paid directly into your bank account in three termly instalments and is available each academic year. As an example: students living away from home during term time can borrow between £3,928 and £8,430 and students living in their parental home can borrow between £3,124 and £7,097.

Maintenance loans are repaid in the same way as tuition fee loans.

Household income Tuition fee loan Maintenance loan
£25,000 or less £9,250 £8,430
£30,000 £9,250 £7,825
£35,000 £9,250 £7,220
£40,000 £9,250 £6,615
£45,000 £9,250 £6,009
£50,000 £9,250 £5,404
£55,000 £9,250 £4,799
£58,215 £9,250 £4,409
£60,000 £9,250 £4,193
Over £62,187 £9,250 £3,928

*Based on students studying away from home (outside London).

Loan Repayments

You only start to pay back your loans when your income is over £21,000 a year and these repayments will be deducted from your salary, through the tax system. You repay at a rate of 9% of your income above £21,000.

More information on repayments is available at - search for "student loan repayments".

For more detailed information on undergraduate fees and funding and the support available please refer to our hard copy leaflets:

DescriptionFile Size
Funding at your fingertips PDF 496KB
Funding FAQs PDF 1.4MB
Funding for your first year PDF 1.1MB

How to apply

You can apply for this funding online at Student Finance England.

Funding for students from the rest of the UK

Tuition fees for students from Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man starting in 2017 are £9,250. Tuition fees may be subject to an annual increase.

You can apply for support towards your fees and living costs through your home government. Visit the following websites for further information:

Funding for students from the EU

Tuition fees for students from the EU starting in 2017 are £9,250. Tuition fees may be subject to an annual increase.

Tuition Fee Loan

If you are an EU student you can apply for a non-income assessed tuition fee loan to cover your tuition fees. You won't have to start repaying this loan until the April after you finish your course, if your income is over £21,000. Different repayment thresholds apply if you live outside of the UK. For further information visit Student Finance England.

How to apply

If you applied for your course through UCAS, you will automatically be sent an application form for a tuition fee loan. If you are not applying through UCAS, you should contact the non-UK team at the Student Loans Company on +44 (0)141 243 3570 and request an application form.

If you have lived in the UK for five years or more before starting your course and currently live in England you may be eligible for funding as a student from England. Contact us for details.

Living Costs

It is important to budget carefully to ensure that you have enough money to support yourself during your time at University. You should allow between £7,000 - £9,000 for a 39 week course. For budgeting advice, hints and tips visit and search for "money".

Part-time UK and EU students

Around a third of those who go into higher education are studying part time. The good thing about studying part time is that you can carry on working and earning at the same time. Tuition fee loans are available to part-time students to cover the cost of studying.

Funding for part-time students from England

Tuition fees for part-time undergraduate students starting in 2017 are detailed on each course page. All eligible part-time students studying at least 25% of a full-time course (30 credits per year) can apply for a non-income assessed loan to cover the tuition fees. You only start to repay your loan from the April four years after your course started - or the April after you leave your studies, whichever is sooner - and then only if your income is over £21,000.

More information on repayments is available at - search for "part-time".

You can arrange to pay your tuition fees without taking a loan, or you can pay part of your fees and apply for a reduced loan to cover the remainder.

How to apply

New students from England will be able to apply online at Student Finance England.

Back To Top

briefcase University Bursaries

A bursary is additional funding paid by a university to students from low-income households. Bursaries are paid on top of any other student finance and you don’t have to pay them back.

University of Portsmouth Bursary

All eligible new full-time, undergraduate students from England* whose assessed household income is £25,000 or less will receive a cash bursary in addition to the government student support package. See table below for details.

Household Income Bursary
Up to £25,000 £750
Over £25,000 £0

Please note, this bursary is only available to students paying the full £9,250 fee, and therefore is not available to sponsored students (including where fees are paid by the NHS or a similar body). Different levels of bursary may be available to you if you are studying a PGCE course, for further information see Postgraduate Fees & Funding. For more information about the University of Portsmouth Bursary call our dedicated Fees and Bursary helpline on +44 (0)23 9284 3052.

How to apply

You do not need to apply to the University to receive a bursary as we will automatically assess your eligibility using the information on your application to Student Finance England.

The University will be able to determine your eligibility for bursaries when all of the following conditions are satisfied:

  • You have applied to Student Finance England for income-assessed support
  • The University of Portsmouth is stated on your Student Finance England application
  • Your household income has been verified by Student Finance England
  • You (and your parents or partner) have provided your consent to share your information with the University.

If your circumstances change after you have made your initial application and you become eligible for a bursary we will let you know.

Care Leavers and Foyer Residents Bursary

An additional annual non income-assessed bursary of £1,700 is offered to eligible home (UK) undergraduate full-time students, who have previously spent a significant time in care (some of which has been in their teens) or are currently living or have lived in sheltered accommodation or a Foyer Federation (for a significant period of time for reasons related to their physical or mental well-being). Conditions apply so contact us for more details. Evidence will be required when you apply. Find out more about support for care leavers.

You should apply for the above bursary via the Student Finance Centre. The Centre will also be able to advise you about the additional financial and practical support available to care leavers starting university. For further information please contact us. The final deadline for receipt of applications will be the end of April 2017, subject to budget limitations.

Other Scholarships and Bursaries

To view a full list of all scholarships and bursaries and associated eligibility critera, please see the summary of scholarships and bursaries.

Back To Top

magnifying glass Extra Support

Students choosing to study for a first degree have different circumstance and needs. At Portsmouth we’re committed to ensuring that all students capable of benefitting from higher education are not deterred for financial reasons.

Hardship Funds

We administer a number of support funds for students who are experiencing financial difficulty whilst studying. More information is available at - search for "hardship funds".

Students with dependants

If you have children there’s extra support available to you while you study, and some students (particularly lone parents) will be eligible for some benefits while they study. Our Student Finance Centre is able to compile a financial statement detailing the specific amounts of funding available to you, please contact us if you would like to discuss your situation further.

Statutory funding for full-time students from Student Finance England

In addition to the funding detailed for students from England, students with dependants can apply for the following:

  • Parents Learning Allowance: Up to £1,617 (for those with dependent children).
  • Adult Dependant's Grant: Up to £2,834 (if you are supporting an adult dependant).
  • Childcare Grant: Can cover up to 85% of registered childcare costs (max payable £159 for one child, £273 for two or more children).

You can apply for these alongside your main student funding application. The exact amounts payable will be assessed on your personal and financial circumstances.

Child Tax Credits and Child Benefit

Child Tax Credit is one of the main forms of support for those with dependent children. Becoming a full-time student should not change your entitlement to receive payments. You should contact HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) and advise them that you intend to become a student - your student award will be disregarded for tax credit purposes (the only element that is counted is the Adult Dependants' Grant which is only paid to those that are responsible for supporting an adult dependant).

Maximum weekly allowances for Child Tax Credit are currently (2016/17 tax year):

  • One child: £63.84
  • Two children: £117.18
  • Three children: £170.52

You are still eligible to receive Child Benefit as a student (unless you or your partner are a higher rate tax payer).

Working Tax Credit

If you received Working Tax Credit before you started your course then your entitlement may change when you become a full-time student. If you are a lone parent you can only claim Working Tax Credit as a student if you continue to work for at least 16 hours a week alongside your studies. If you live with a partner they may be entitled to claim Working Tax Credit if they work for at least 24 hours a week. Further information and guidance, and application forms can be obtained by calling the Tax Credit helpline on 0845 300 3900 or visiting HM Revenue & Customs.

Housing Benefit

You are eligible for Housing Benefit as a student if you are also:

  • A lone parent
  • Living as a couple where you are both students and you have at least one child
  • Receiving Personal Independence Payment or Disability Living Allowance (irrespective of the disability), or Disabled Students' Allowance for reasons of a hearing impairment

You must be living in rented accommodation and have a formal tenancy agreement in your name. All applications are made via your local authority. If you live in Halls of Residence during term time and fall into one of the above categories then you are also entitled to apply.

Only the maintenance loan (part of which is disregarded), adult dependants' grant (if applicable), and child tax credit are counted in the benefits assessment, together with any earnings you may have. If you receive the social work bursary or an NHS bursary for the course you are doing then this is counted in full as income over a 52 week period.

Income Support and Job Seekers' Allowance

You can normally only claim Income Support or Jobseekers’ Allowance over the summer vacation period. Lone parent students with at least one child under five and some disabled students are eligible for Income Support. If your youngest child is aged five or over then you can apply for Jobseekers’ Allowance over the summer period instead of Income Support. Student couples with children (of any age) may be eligible for Job Seekers' Allowance instead.

Applications should be made by contacting your local Job Centre Plus on 0800 055 6688.

Universal Credit

Housing benefit, Jobseekers Allowance, Income Support and Child Tax Credit are all being phased out from 2017 to be replaced by Universal Credit. If you would like to discuss how this change will affect you please contact us.

For an individual assessment of your benefit entitlement whilst studying please contact us.

Students with disabilities

Disabled Students' Allowance (DSA) is available to help with extra costs disabled students may have whilst studying, as a direct result of their disability or specific learning difficulty. DSA is non income-assessed and can help with areas such as travel, a non-medical helper, specialist equipment and other course-related costs. To apply, you must be a full or part-time student from the UK, studying an undergraduate or postgraduate degree.

The allowances for full-time students for 2017/18 are as follows:

  • Specialist Equipment Allowance: Up to £5,358 for the whole course. Students are required to meet the first £200 of any claims for computers or related equipment.
  • Non-Medical Helpers Allowance: Up to £21,305 per year. This is to help pay for people to assist you with non-medical needs.
  • General: Up to £1,790 per year. This allowance is to help pay for anything not covered by the other allowances.

Part-time students

Part-time students studying for the equivalent of at least 50% of a full-time course are also eligible for the DSA.

The rates are as follows:

  • Specialist Equipment Allowance: Up to £5,358 for whole course
  • Non-Medical Helpers Allowance: Up to £15,978 per year
  • General Allowance: Up to £1,342 per year

When to apply

You should apply for Disabled Students Allowance at the same time as you apply for your loans through Student Finance England. During the online application you can request a ‘short’ application form for DSA (DSA1), which will be sent out to you. If you are not applying for any loans you will need to complete the ‘long' version of the application, available to download from Student Finance England. The assessment process can take up to three months to complete therefore you are advised to apply as soon as possible.

How to apply

Student Finance England is responsible for establishing your eligibility. For additional information on assistance with disabilities, contact our Additional Support and Disability Advice Centre on 023 9284 3462.

Back To Top

lightbulb Healthcare courses

The way that certain healthcare courses are funded is changing from September 2017 and in nearly all cases NHS bursaries will no longer be available, and students will instead be able to apply for the standard package of support from Student Finance England as described here. For courses that lead to registration as an NHS professional there may be situations where funding is available even if you already have a degree level qualification. There may also be additional allowances for the additional costs of attending such courses.

We will update this page with further information as it becomes available.

The following courses are exceptions to this and have individual funding arrangements:

BSc (Hons) Dental Hygiene and Therapy

The government currently intends to fund Home and EU students studying on the above courses starting in the 2017/18 academic year. They will have their fees paid in full by the NHS and will also be able to apply for a reduced rate of maintenance loan from Student Finance England and a partially means tested bursary from the NHS.

CertHE Dental Nursing

Currently students on this course have their fees paid in full and Home students are eligible for a non-means tested bursary of £5,025.

For both of these courses funding arrangements are still being finalised for 2017 so please contact us for further information once you have an offer.

BSc (Hons) Social Work

This course is funded through the standard system of support from Student Finance England. However, in addition to this there is currently a Social Work Bursary available to some students in the second and third years of the course. Numbers are capped so there is no guarantee that every student on the course will receive this.

The bursary is not means tested, and in 2016/17 was £4,862.50 a year, paid in three termly instalments.

Back To Top