Support for care leavers
If you have ever been in care or looked after by a Local Authority you may be entitled to our additional support package which includes:
- £1,700 Care Leavers’ Bursary per year that does not need to be repaid. This bursary is available to both undergraduate and postgraduate students.
- A Personal Support Finance Adviser who will be on hand throughout your time at University to provide support and guidance on your personal funding needs.
- A guaranteed place in Halls of Residence for three years, to include Christmas and Easter Breaks.
- Summer accommodation in a Hall of Residence.
To be eligible you must meet the following criteria:
- Have spent a significant time (at least 13 weeks) in care, some of which was during your teens and;
- Be currently leaving the care system (within the last 12 months) or;
- Be defined as a 'former relevant child pursuing education' under 25 years old.
You may also qualify for the bursary if you currently live in a foyer federation hostel (or equivalent).
The University of Portsmouth, in partnership with the Unite Foundation, can offer accommodation scholarships to care leavers and young people who are estranged from their parents. Students can apply for a scholarship once they have confirmed the University of Portsmouth as their first choice institution on their UCAS application. These scholarships are offered in addition to the Care Leavers' bursary but numbers are limited, so not all students who apply will be eligible for an award.:
The scholarships comprise of a free place in halls of residence (selected Unit Halls only) for 3 years of study. Please note, this does not cover foundation, repeat or placement years.
You must be a full-time undergraduate student from the UK with a household income of below £25,000 as well as one or more of the following:
- A Care Leaver
- Irreconcilably estranged from your parents
- Under 25 when you start your course
- Starting your first (and only) course of undergraduate study
In order to apply, please complete the application form and return it to the Student Finance Centre by 19th May 2017.
For more information please contact the Student Finance Team on 023 9284 3014 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Student Finance Centre
University of Portsmouth
St Michael's Road
T: 023 9284 3014