See here for a complete list of all our current leaflets and guides.
Please note that further resources are available for reference and take away from our Purple Door centre!
In this section, you can find some useful content to help make sure your CV is accurate and well-written. Check out our CV examples and CV checklist to make sure you stand out from the crowd.
You will also find some useful information on how to fill out an application form in a way that really sells you as a valuable and desired employee.
- Application Checklist
- Action Verbs
- Application Forms Guide
- Covering Letter Guide
- CV Checklist
- CV Examples
- CV Writing Guide
- Speculative Applications Guide
- Key Skills Audit
- Personal Statement for Job Applications
Check out our guides to interviews, along with details about how assessment centres generally work. If you have an interview coming up, make sure to use these guides and resources to give yourself an edge against the competition.
You may also want to use our mock interview service to fully prepare!
- Aptitude Tests and Personality Assessments
- Assessment Centres
- Engineering Psychometric Tests
- Interviews Guide
- Telephone Interviews
- Video Interviews
Volunteering and placements can be an excellent way to boost your CV prior to landing a graduate job.
If you can show you have relevant and useful experience, an employer is more likely to consider your application instead of one that has no relevant experience.
- Finding a Placement Opportunity
- Finding Work in the Portsmouth Area
- Finding Work Experience in Biotechnology
- Finding Work Experience in Engineering
- Finding Work Experience in the Environmental Sector
- Finding Work Experience in Finance
- Finding Work Experience in Marketing
- Finding Work Experience in Media
- Guide to Networking
- Finding Work Experience in Psychology
- Summer Internships & Work Experience
- Volunteering Experience
- Volunteering for a Short-Term Placement
- Virtual Volunteering Bank
- International Volunteering
Are you looking for some part time work to boost your income while studying? Or perhaps you want to improve your experience during your studies?
These resources are an excellent starting point and will help clear up any questions you may have.
- Income Tax and National Insurance
- International, EEA and EU Students: Part-time Work and Volunteering
Once you have graduated from your course, your next step may seem overwhelming. We are here to support you in getting on to the next stage of your career path!
Check out these guides to help you plan your next step in to the working world.
- Graduate Opportunities with a 2:2
- Purple Door Recruitment Consultancy Graduate Recruitment Consultancy
- Regional Graduate Job Websites
- Working for a Small or Medium Sized Enterprise (SME)
- Working with Recruitment Agencies
Some courses and degrees lend themselves well to general roles, while others are more focused on getting into a directly relevant sector.
These resources should help you identify the best way in to the sector you want to pursue, as well as provide you with support to get into them!
- Careers guides covering a wide range of sectors from Accountancy, Biology, Computing, Engineering, Media and many more
- Economics Employability Guide
An increasing number of students and graduates are now finding work overseas. With various economies in flux and certain opportunities more available outside of the UK, it may be worth considering employment around the world.
Take a look at these resources for dedicated information on working outside of the United Kingdom.
- Working in ... series of Country guides to find out more about working in China, Hong Kong, India and Nigeria: resources includes a list of useful websites
- International Volunteering
Career planning is an excellent way to identify what you want out of your future. This can seem overwhelming at first, but it is useful to identify what you want out of your career as a first step.
Check out these guides for further information and advice on planning your career in a way that is right for you.
- Changing or Leaving Your Course
- What to do with a CertHE and DipHE
- Disability, Equality and Diversity Guide
- Employability Planner - Level 4 Student Timeline
- Employability Planner - Level 5 Student Timeline
- Employability Planner - Level 6 Student Timeline
- Employability Planner - Level 7 Postgraduate Timeline
If you wish to continue your studies at Portsmouth, there are many opportunities available. See these resources for information on postgraduate and doctorate studies.