Interviews are an opportunity for the recruiter to find out if you are a suitable candidate for the role and the organisation. They are an extremely important part of any application process and your preparation will help you to handle interviews confidently and boost your chances of success.
The interview is also your chance to check out an employer to see if you want to work for them as much as it is about the employer interviewing you for a position.
Try to bear in mind that you are just having a conversation and that the interviewer will understand that you are nervous. Remember that an interviewer will be monitoring everything you do, so make sure you are friendly and polite to everyone that you come in to contact with at the company.
See the following Prezi for top tips to interview success. Alternatively you can read our Interviews Guide - please see the 'Further Advice and Information' section below.
Further advice and information
- Get your free copy of the Interviews Guide (pdf) available from Purple Door and learn more useful tips to apply to your interviews.
- Telephone Interviews (pdf) tips and advice.
- Video Interviews (pdf) advice and tips on how to prepare and practice.
- Use a range of reference materials, including the 'Making an Impact' DVD, available at Purple Door.
- Arrange a mock interview with a Careers Adviser.
- Purple Door pinboards that show useful advice, links and infographics about interviews.
- TargetJobs has advice on different types of job interviews including video, telephone and technical formats.
- Visit Prospects for tips on interview preparation, questions, tests and exercises.
- Look at Jobsite's Be my interviewer for employers tips on effective interview skills
- Standout at interviews – tips and advice video from Careerplayer.
- Disability, Equality and Diversity Guide (pdf) – for information on disclosing a disability.
- Careers uncovered a handy e-guide compiled by Guardian Careers in association with Guardian Jobs that takes you through all the essentials of applying for a job.
- www.10minuteswith.com - short videos showing an insight from top professionals about roles within leading organisations.
- www.jobapplications.co.uk - interview and application form insights for some of the UK's top employers.