Finding a part-time job
Many students will look for part-time employment while studying at university to earn extra money; working during the evenings, weekends and on their free days when they have no lectures. Purple Door Careers and Recruitment are here to help you with finding part-time work from information and support with your CV to registering on the Jobs Board.
Working part-time will help you gain valuable work experience and start to develop the skills that employers are looking for, including: team working, customer service, communication (verbal and written), time management, commercial awareness, listening skills, cash handling, organisational, working under pressure, leadership and many more.
Further details of paid part time roles at your University are available in the left hand menu.
Sign up / login now to view our Jobs Board, it has part-time vacancies in a wide range of areas (Customer Service, Administration, Catering, Bar, Care Work, Marketing, Sales, Cashiers, Retail and working in call centres). There have been over 1,500 part-time and summer vacancies advertised online last year.
European and International students:
For more information on working while you study and the Immigration Restrictions for European and International Students, please visit the Home Office website at www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/workingintheuk/ and the UKCISA website at www.ukcisa.org.uk/student/working_during.php
Top Tips to help you find a part-time job:
- Come along to Purple Door for information on looking for part-time and summer employment within Portsmouth and the surrounding areas.
- Sign up / login to view the part-time vacancies on our Jobs Board and remember to check these every few days as many employers recruit students continually throughout the year.
- Make sure you register to receive email alerts when new vacancies have been added online in the Jobs Board.
- Come along to events held at Purple Door, including Employer Days and Part-time Jobs Fairs.
- Take a look at the information available online in the 'Finding a part time job' section.
- You can also find your own job by taking your CV along to the shops, restaurants and bars local to you, for example: Gunwharf Quays and ask if they are recruiting.
- For information on making a speculative application or help with preparing for an interview, come along and visit Purple Door.
Further advice and information
- Finding work in the Portsmouth area
- Guide to speculative applications
- Income Tax and National Insurance
- Local recruitment agencies
- Part-time Employment
- CV writing guide
- Morethanwork website for students
- Disability, equality and diversity guide - for students who feel that their personal issues may affect or disadvantage their career planning or job selection process.