Working outside the UK
Finding a job Outside the UK
Many students and graduates of the University of Portsmouth are interested in working outside the UK.
If you are an International student you may intend to return home to find work or you may be a UK student who is keen to get some experience working overseas, either during the vacation or after you graduate.
If you are an International student looking for work outside the UK, Targetjobs offers advice and tips as well as a checklist to help you plan your job hunt.
This section also contains information on international volunteering.
Try these links for more information:
- Prospects - Working abroad section provides comprehensive profiles on 30 countries around the world including the current job climate, application advice, vacation jobs, work experience information, visa and language requirements and more.
- TARGETjobs - Working abroad section provides 40 different country profiles providing information on the job market, applications, vacancy sources, getting work experience, visa information and logistical advice.
- BBC Country profiles - Full profiles provide an instant and updated guide to history, politics and economic background of all countries and territories around the world.
- University of Portsmouth School of Languages and Area Studies - The SLAS employability page explains the support that can be offered for language students at the university regarding utilising skills in the global jobs market.
- Graduateland - Jobs, internships and placements for students and graduates worldwide.
- Stepstone - International jobs in over 130 countries around the globe.
- NES Global Talent - Global agency offering jobs and internships in oil and gas, power, construction and infrastructure, life sciences, manufacturing, chemicals, mining and IT.
- GradLink UK - Specialist careers website designed for UK-educated students and graduates. Includes jobs board, recruitment portal, job market advice and blog pieces.
- Portsmouth LinkUP - Free service for Portsmouth alumni. Connect with alumni from around the world and utilise mentoring opportunities and a chance to make potential industry contacts in your home or chosen country.
- British Chamber of Commerce - Comprehensive information on all global British Chambers of Commerce.
- iHipo - Global graduate careers site with graduate jobs, internships, programmes and career advice.
- EFMD Talent Portal - Business-related global internships and graduate roles. Log-in using your university email.
- Eurojobs - Jobs board with graduate opportunities across Europe.
- EURES - The European Job Mobility Portal run by the European Commission with jobs board and country-by-country advice.
- Graduate Jobs in Europe - Lists the top graduate employers by country and by sector with live economic data for each country and the employment prospects for graduates in each industry sector.
- Internshipmapper - Opportunities across Europe for EU students including work experience, volunteering, graduate jobs, summer work and internships.
- GradLink Africa - Specialist careers site designed for African students and graduates across the UK (although it can be used by any students interested in working in Africa). It includes jobs, links with major graduate employers, in-depth advice sections, and the latest news and events relating to the graduate labour markets across Africa.
- Careers in Africa - Site looking to recruit African graduates and professionals who have studied abroad across all sectors.
- Jobsinnigeria - Leading Nigerian job site with graduate roles and work experience opportunities, also offers advice on CVs, cover letters and career information.
- ngcareers - Nigerian jobsite with graduate roles, internships, career advice and CV service.
- MyJobMag - Jobsite offering graduate opportunities in South Africa, Nigeria and Kenya.
- GradlinkCanada - Careers site aimed at connecting Canadian students studying in the UK with opportunities in Canada. Includes job and internship vacancy boards for Canadian based opportunities, case studies of Canadian graduates and Canadian employer profiles.
- InternChina - Offers internships across 5 locations in China for students of any nationality studying around the world.
- YingJieSheng - Leading graduate jobsite in China advertises graduate roles, internships and part-time work and also provides career advice and labour market information.
- GradLink China - Site helps Chinese students and graduates who have studied in the UK research and access graduate opportunities in their home country. Includes jobs board, employer profiles and graduate case studies.
- GRADUAN – Leading Malaysian graduate recruitment agency. Aims to link returnees with Malaysian employers.
- GradLink Bangladesh - Specialist careers website for students and graduates from Bangladesh who are studying in the UK, linking them with employers and jobs in Bangladesh. Website also includes advice, news and case studies.
- UK Alumni Job Network - Job site for international students who are seeking to return and work in Asia. Free to register.
- GradLink ASEAN - Website aimed at connecting ASEAN students studying across the UK with opportunities in their home countries. The website includes job and internship vacancy boards for ASEAN-based opportunities, case studies of graduates and employer profiles.
- GradLink India - Careers resource aimed at helping Indian students and graduates to research and access graduate opportunities in their home country. Includes jobs board, employer profiles and graduate case studies.
- Generation UK-India programme - British Council run programme offering internships, work and study options in India for UK students.
- Naukri - India's leading job site with jobs both at home and also abroad.
- Contact Singapore - Singapore job portal search with links to numerous Singaporean job sites.
- efinancialcareers - Singaporean jobs site for positions in the financial sector.
- Lockin China - Recruitment site for Chinese returnees who have studied abroad. Graduate roles, internships and work experience across all sectors.
- University of Portsmouth China jobsboard - Bespoke jobsite for our Chinese students created as part of our membership with GUCCU (Global University Career China Union). Includes bespoke jobs portal, advice on working in China and webinars.
- InternSG - Offers internships in Singapore for both home nationals and those from other countries. Provides advice on working visas and other practical guidance.
- GradLink Gulf - Specialist careers site for national students from the Gulf states studying in the UK. Provides jobs board advice, case studies and more.
- Careerjet - Kuwaiti job site with graduate roles across all areas.
- gradaustralia - Graduate jobs board, employer profiles, careers blog and top 100 graduate employers in Australia list.
Volunteering abroad is an atttractive proposition for many students. It can provide crucial experience and skills that can be hard to gain elsewhere, bolster your CV, help you to decide what you might like to do in the future, or simply be an incredible experience that will always stay with you. However, it can also be expensive and unfortunately there are risks surrounding some companies/organisations that should be treated with caution. That's why it's important to do your research and really shop around. What do you want to get out of an experience? Where do you want to go? The sites below have extensive databases, advice and reviews on programmes around the world:
- Volunteer Forever - Extensive database of programmes including volunteering, internships and teaching opportunities across all areas from disaster relief to advocacy and human rights. Also has the option to set-up a fundraising page.
- Go Overseas - Includes a programme database, country profiles and articles and blog posts.
Purple Door runs regular Global Working events based around finding work abroad, both for international students returning home and UK students looking to work abroad. Check out the events calendar on My Purple Door to book onto events.
The Purple Door centre also holds a number of publicatons useful for finding temporary work abroad including Work Your Way Around the World, Summer Jobs Abroad and Jobs and Careers Abroad.
Information and advice on writing a CV, completing applications forms and going for interviews is available in the making applications section. If you would like further support you can drop-in to Purple Door and talk to one of our experienced Information and Employment Advisers or make an appointment with a careers adviser for one-to-one advice