How to access careers advice
There are lots of ways that Purple Door can help you! From advice on your CV or cover letter to discussions about your future career, a lot of these can be handled when you drop in to us - no appointment needed!
You can also book appointments with careers advisers for in-depth talks and advice, either remotely or in-centre.
- Drop-In. Come into Purple Door to ask the experts your questions! This could be anything from CV advice and graduate job search to discussing your options after your course. There is always staff in the centre ready to help and we are open all year round Monday - Friday (excluding bank holidays).
- Online guidance. Can’t visit the centre? Then send us your careers questions through My Purple Door - just click on 'Ask Us a Question' and we will get back to you within five working days.
- Careers advice appointment. Bookable one-to-one appointments with a professional careers adviser are available for tailored in-depth advice. Just call 023 9284 2684. If you can’t get to Purple Door you can request a telephone appointment.
- Skype appointment. Would you like a mock interview? Or just prefer to talk to someone face-to-face but you can’t make it into the centre? You can request a skype interview with a careers adviser.
- Online. There are a range of expert resources online for you to look through as well as a range of useful resources available at our download zone.
- Events, workshops and courses. Take a look at your events calendar on My Purple Door to find out what events are coming up.
Check out what one of our students had to say about her experiences with Purple Door below
Careers advice available
Purple Door provides information, advice and guidance for part-time work, placements, volunteering and graduate schemes and jobs on the following areas:
- Career planning and getting into your chosen sector. For some people, talking through their ideas and thoughts about career planning and options can be really helpful and you can do this by visiting us at Purple Door. You can also make a start by using our advice and resources online.
- Covering letters and CV advice. Purple Door offers CV and covering letter reviews - just drop in with a hard copy of your CV and covering letter for help from our experts. If you've never written a CV or covering letter before, we can help with that too! Just pop in for some advice or take a look online.
- Linkedin profile advice. LinkedIn is increasingly being used by employers and corporations. We offer LinkedIn reviewsto ensure your online presence is up to date and reflects the information on your CV.
- Applications and speculative applications. We have information and advice to help you with your application forms as well as speculative applications. You can also book an appointment to have your application reviewed by an expert.
- Interview advice and telephone interview advice. If you've got an important interview coming up, take a look at our online advice or come in to Purple Door for some top tips. We also offer mock interviews giving you a chance to practice answering questions and receive feedback from the experts.
- Assessment centres and psychometric tests. For many students and graduates applying for placement or graduate roles this is the first time they experience an assessment centre or psychometric test. There is no need to worry - they are just a way to assess the skills and competencies you can offer! The best thing to do is practice and we have a range of free practice resources for you to have the best chance possible.
- Graduate jobs. If you've just graduated or are about to graduate and want to get ahead, it's important to understand how to search for jobs online. You will need to understand job markets for your particular sector. Take a look at our online resources or come into Purple Door for more information and support.
- Further study. If you're thinking of further study and want to talk through your ideas, or if you want to discuss your career options related to different courses, you can book a one-to-one appointment with a careers adviser.
- Working globally. Thinking of pursuing a career abroad? We have lots of online advice regarding working globally and you can also discuss this with a careers adviser.