Centre for European and International Studies Research
Mr Christian Salm
- Role Title: PhD Student
- Address: Park Building, King Henry 1 Street, Portsmouth PO1 2DZ
- Telephone: 023 9284 6033
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Department: Centre for European and International Studies Research
- Faculty: Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences
My PhD-project examines the role of social democratic party networks in European Community agenda-setting and policy-making in the 1970s. This decade is often seen as a period of “Eurosclerosis” with limited institutional change. In contrast, my project argues that these years were a crucial phase as a take-off period for “network governance”. I test these assumptions in three empirical case studies: EC economic, development and enlargement policy. For all three policy fields I analyse the degree of integration of party networks and their relative importance in lager non-state actor networks including experts and non-governmental organizations.
My academic interests are mainly centred on the history and politics of European integration since 1945. Before coming to Portsmouth I studied Modern History, Political Science and Philosophy at Humboldt University of Berlin and I worked for the German Council on Foreign Relations and the PSE-Group in the European Parliament.
Current Research Projects
- Thesis on “Transnational Social Democracy in the 1970s: Party networks in European Community economic, development and enlargement policy”