Centre for European and International Studies Research
Mr Roel Van der Velde
- Qualifications: BA History (Utrecht University), MScEcon International Politics (University of Aberystwyth)
- Role Title: PhD Research Student
- Address: Park Building, King Henry 1 Street, Portsmouth PO1 2DZ
- Telephone: 023 9284 6157
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Department: School of Languages and Area Studies
- Faculty: Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences
Roel van der Velde started his PhD with CEISR on French foreign policy in October 2013. Prior to this, he completed a part-time BA in history in 2011 at Utrecht University, and a Masters in Intelligence and Strategic Studies at the Department of International Politics of Aberystwyth University in 2012. Before switching to academia, he worked in business and finance in the Netherlands.
His research explores the role of the French armaments trade with the South African Apartheid regime and its relation to Gaullist foreign policy between 1964-1977. It investigates the extent to which military-industrial actors engage in autonomousdiplomatic practices that shape foreign policy.