Centre for European and International Studies Research
Dr Alessia Tranchese
- Qualifications: BA in Translation and Interpreting (University of Bologna) MA in Conference Interpreting (University of Bologna) PhD in English for Specific Purposes (University of Naples Federico II)
- Role Title: Senior Lecturer in Communication and Applied Linguistics
- Address: Park Building, King Henry 1 Street, Portsmouth PO1 2DZ
- Telephone: 023 9284 6044
- Email: email@example.com
- Department: School of Languages and Area Studies
- Faculty: Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences
My research interests focus on studying the representation of violence against women in the media using Critical Discourse Analysis and Corpus Linguistics. I have worked with a number of organisations and think tanks in the UK; some of the research projects I worked on included the study of the representation of poverty in the British media and cyberbullying on Twitter. I also volunteer with a women rights organisation and rape crisis centre. I joined the University of Portsmouth in 2015 to teach on a number of units ranging from Language, Gender and Sexuality to Analysing Media Discourse.
I am a qualified translator and conference interpreter between Italian, English and German and I have a PhD in English for Specific Purposes from the University of Naples Federico II (Italy).
- Gender, Language and Sexuality (UG - unit coordinator)
- Analysing Media Discourse (UG - unit coordinator)
- Digital Communication (UG - unit coordinator)
- Theory and Practice of Communication (PG)
- Intercultural Communication (PG)
- Intercultural Perspectives on Communication (UG)
My research focuses on the representation of violence against women in the media. For my PhD, I studied the representation of rape in the British press; more recently, I have become interested in forms of violence against women perpetrated online and, in particular, in the language of cybersexism.
- LAB - Languages Across Borders