Centre for European and International Studies Research
Dr Helen Ringrow
- Qualifications: BA Joint Honours in English and French (Queen’s University Belfast), MA in English Language and Linguistics (Queen’s University Belfast), PhD in Linguistics (Queen’s University Belfast), Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- Role Title: Senior Lecturer in Communication Studies and Applied Linguistics
- Address: Park Building, King Henry 1 Street, Portsmouth PO1 2DZ
- Telephone: 023 9284 6059
- Email: email@example.com
- Department: School of Languages and Area Studies
- Faculty: Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences
I have a PhD from Queen’s University Belfast, where I also contributed to teaching on language, power and ideology. My doctoral research focused on how ideals about femininity and the female body are constructed in French and English cosmetics advertisements. I joined the University of Portsmouth in September 2014 and I teach on a wide range of applied linguistics, communication studies and English language units at both undergraduate and postgraduate level. I am currently researching the language used to describe motherhood in religious online communities.
I am a member of the Poetics and Linguistics Association (PALA).
I am the Equalities Officer for UCU Portsmouth.
I team teach on the following units:
- Analysing Discourse (MA)
- Intercultural Communication (MA) (Unit Coordinator)
- Theory and Practice of Communication (MA)
- Intercultural Perspectives on Communication (BA) (Unit Coordinator)
- Communication Theory (BA)
My research so far has focused on cosmetics advertising discourse across cultures. More generally, I am interested in the relationship between language, gender and identity in the media, both in terms of branding and marketing discourse and in social media platforms such as blogging.
- Language Across Borders