Centre for European and International Studies Research
Professor Barry Smart
- Role Title: Professor of Sociology
- Address: Milldam, Burnaby Road, Portsmouth PO1 3AS
- Telephone: 023 9284 2198
- Email: email@example.com
- Department: School of Social, Historical and Literary Studies
- Faculty: Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences
Barry has worked at universities in Australia, England, Japan and New Zealand. He was at the University of Sheffield until 1988 and was then Associate-Professor at Auckland University before joining Portsmouth in 1995. Areas of research interest and expertise include classical and contemporary social thought, critical theory, fiscal sociology and economic transformation of modernity, cultural and economic analyses of consumption, environmental consequences of consumerism, as well as social and historical analyses of sport.
Main Undergraduate Teaching Commitments
Barry convenes and teaches a core level two social theory unit Classical Sociology, a core level three social theory unit The Transformation of Modern Society as well as an optional course on Consumer Society at level three. In addition he contributes to a level one unit Sociological Analysis and a level two unit Global Sociology. He has also taught courses onSport, Leisure and Culture and Football and Society.
Higher Degree Teaching/Supervision
Barry contributes to MA courses and offers PhD supervision in the areas of classical and contemporary social thought, critical theory, social and economic transformation, contemporary consumer culture, including environmental issues, and the cultural economy of sport.
- Sociology and Social Theory
Achievement and Recognition
- 2013: Editorial Advisory Board of Open Access Books in Sociology published by Versita.
- 2007-date : International Advisory Board Member of Journal of Classical Sociology, published by Sage – invited back by Bryan Turner and John O’Neill to help transform journal’s scope and appeal
- 1998-date : International Advisory Board Member of European Journal of Social Theory, published by Sage.
- 1993-date : International Advisory Board Member of International Journal of Japanese Sociology, published by the Japanese Sociological Society.
- 1987-date : Associate Editorial Board Member of Theory, Culture and Society - international interdisciplinary social science journal published by Sage.