Centre for European and International Studies Research
Professor Chris Brown
- Qualifications: DPhil, MRes, BSc, PGCert TLHPE, FHEA
- Role Title: Professor of Education
- Address: St George's Building, 141 High Street, Portsmouth PO1 2HY
- Email: email@example.com
- Department: School of Education and Childhood Studies
- Faculty: Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences
With a long standing interest in how evidence can aid education policy and practice, Chris has written six books (including Leading the Use of Research and Evidence in Schools), scores of papers and has presented on the subject at a number of international conferences in Europe, and North America.
Chris has extensive experience of leading a range of funded projects, many of which seek to help practitioners to identify and scale up best practice, and was recently awarded a significant grant by the Education Endowment Foundation to work with 100+ primary schools in England to increase their use of research.
In 2015 Chris was awarded the American Educational Research Association ‘Emerging Scholar’ award (Education Change SIG). The award is presented to an individual who, within the first eight years of the career of an educational scholar, has demonstrated a strong record of original and significant scholarship related to educational change. Chris was also been awarded the 2016 AERA Excellence in Research to practice award and the UCEA Jeffrey V. Bennett Outstanding International Research award.
Chris’ research interests centre on how teachers’ use of research and how networks of teachers, academics and others can lead to improved teaching practice, school improvement and improved outcomes for children. Specific topics of interest include: evidence-informed practice and practitioner enquiry, professional development, the roles of networks in educational improvement and the impact and scale up of educational change. Current project include:
- Principal Investigator – Dimensions of quality in close-to-practice educational research. Funded by the British Educational Research Association (BERA) (£29,712.06).
- Principal Investigator – ‘Developing Research Learning Communities for the Nampa School District’ (2017 - 2018). Funded by Nampa District School Board ($10,000).
- Principal Investigator – ‘The role of school leaders in maximizing the impact of Professional Learning Networks’ (2017 - 2018). BELMAS Research and Development Grant (£3,000).