Centre for European and International Studies Research
Experts Group: Members
Dr Karen Heard-Laureote
- Qualifications: Certificat d’Études Politiques (with Honours) (Science Politique, Rennes, France), BA Honours Degree in European Studies with First Class Honours and Distinction for spoken language performance in French (University of Portsmouth), Post-graduate Diploma with Distinction in Social Research Methods (University of Portsmouth), PhD: European Studies (University of Portsmouth), Post-Graduate Certificate in Teaching and Learning in Higher Education; Principal Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (PFHEA); Fellow of the Leadership Foundation (FLF)
- Role Title: Reader in European Politics; Jean Monnet Chair in European Integration; FHSS Faculty Research Degrees Coordinator
- Address: Milldam, Burnaby Road, Portsmouth PO1 3AS
- Telephone: 023 9284 2285
- Email: email@example.com
- Department: School of Social, Historical and Literary Studies
- Faculty: Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences
Dr Karen Heard-Laureote is a Jean Monnet Chair in European Integration and Director of the University of Portsmouth's Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence for the Study of Transnational Europe (CESTE2). Her main expertise lies in transnational networks and their role in and impact on European integration. Karen is a Principal Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (PFHEA) and a Fellow of the Leadership Foundation (FLF). Karen is also a Trustee and Co-Opted Member of the University Association for Contemporary European Studies (UACES) Executive Committee and member of the UACES Teaching and Impact Working Group. Through this role, Karen is involved in the defence and promotion of the European Studies field in higher education, with a primary focus on the United Kingdom. Karen is co-editor of the Journal of Contemporary European Research (JCER) Teaching and Learning section.
My main teaching interests are European Union political simulations, transnational policy networks, EU politics, research preparation, research training and continuing professional development for research supervisors and research students.
I am currently involved in three major research projects. First, I am Director of the University of Portsmouth's Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence for the Study of Transnational Europe (CESTE2). As part of this project I am conducting research on network formation, particularly in the higher education sector, higher education responses to Brexit and teaching European politics using simulated learning environments. This research links to work being undertaken by the University of Portsmouth's Transnational Civil Society (TCS) project. Second, I am co-Investigator on a research project funded by a Hefce Catalyst Fund award which is invesigating methods of improving postgraduate research student wellbeing by increasing mental health literacy and social support. Finally, I am co-Investigator on a research project exploring flexible delivery in post-graduate research degrees at the University of Portsmouth.
- Transnational Europe
- Higher Education Pedagogy
- Higher Education Policy
- Teaching and Learning for Post-Graduate Research Students
- European Studies
- Politics and International Relations