Centre of Forensic Interviewing
Mr Martin Vaughan
- Qualifications: MA Investigation Management (Charles Sturt University, Australia); BA (Hons) PCET , Cert.Ed. PCET (University of Wales, Newport); Pg Dip Child Forensic Psychology and Law (University of Leeds)
- Role Title: PhD Student
- Address: St George's Building, 141 High Street, Portsmouth PO1 2HY
- Telephone: 023 9284 3927
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Department: Institute of Criminal Justice Studies
- Faculty: Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences
Martin recently retired having completed 30 years policing with the vast majority being in various Criminal Investigation Departments. In 2001 he became the lead crime trainer for Gwent Police and was responsible for the development and implementation of all interview programmes in line with the requirements of the NPIA. He was responsible for the implementation and training of the Interview Adviser Development programme and the Advanced Suspect Investigative Interview programme at Gwent Police. He was a regular contributor to the Crime Training School on a range of law based courses including the SIO Development Course and the IMSC Course. He was responsible for reviewing the CPD of all specialist interviewers.
As a Detective Sergeant attached to the Major Incident Team he performed the role of Interview Adviser on numerous high profile investigations including cases of child abuse, sexual abuse, and over 70 murder investigations. He received 16 Commendations for the high quality of his work throughout his career including the delivery of training to multi agency audiences. In recent years he has been a Force Interview Adviser and held the position of a National ACPO Accredited Interview Adviser covering the Welsh Region. Martin sat on several strategic implementation Boards as an interview adviser including the Digital Interviewing Board and PIP Implementation Team together with the Pan Gwent Multi-agency Training forum.
Martin has completed the following Investigative Interview Courses:
- Advanced Interviewer Training for Trainers
- Joint Investigative Interviewing of Child Abuse
- Joint Investigative Interviewing of Vulnerable Adults
- Sexual Offences Liaison Officer
- Sex Offender Interviewing Course
- Advanced Suspect Interviewing
- Enhanced Cognitive Interviewing
- Interview Management and Co-ordination
- ACPO TAM Count Terrorism Specialist Interviewing Course
Martin is a Practitioner member of the International Investigative interviewing Research Group (iIIRG) and is currently an External Associate of the College of Policing.
The overall aim of Martin's PhD is to address the lack of research in the literature by investigating the current interview processes with suspect offenders in homicide investigations which are managed by an Interview Managers and Co-ordinators to establish whether the investigative interviewing processes adopted with vulnerable suspects are both ethical and effective.