Students and staff at the University of Portsmouth are offered free access to the following resources:
- Sketch Engine (free access through the university server).Through Sketch Engine you can access corpora in approximately 35 different languages and including some examples of parallel corpora and corpora of academic English. Staff and post-graduate researchers may request an individual user account from John Williams which will allow them to upload their own corpora.
- We have produced a guide to commonly needed Sketch Engine tasks.
- Mark Davies's corpora (open access):
- Michigan Corpus of Academic Spoken English (MICASE) - Another very useful resource for those interested in EAP.
- Webcorp - An interface that lets you analyse the web using corpus linguistic tools
Free software for corpus creation, annotation and interrogation
- AntConc - Free concordance program for Windows, Macintosh OS X, and Linux.Will run on text only files and quite user-friendly.
- XAIRA - Open source software package which supports indexing and analysis of large XML textual resources. This is a more powerful tool for concordancing and collocate analysis but only runs on XML texts.
- BootCaT - Free software for creating web corpora. Very easy to use.
- UAM CorpusTool - A free environment for annotation (and interrogation)of text corpora.Runs under Windows and MacOSX.
- International Journal of Corpus Linguistics
- Corpus linguistics and linguistic theory
Online conference proceedings
- Corpus Linguistics Conference - This is the archive for the six conferences - full papers are available for many of the presentations
- Proceedings of The International Symposium on Using Corpora in Contrastive and Translation Studies 2010. Edited by R. Xiao. Full papers are available for several of the presentations.
- Developing Linguistic Corpora: A Guide to Good Practice - Edited by M. Wynne.
- There is a wide range of books and ebooks available through the university library
- David Lee's bookmarks for corpus-based linguistics - is a great resource with over 1000 links