An accredited and multi-faceted course leading to Chartered Surveyor status
Why take this course?
We have been delivering property courses for over 35 years and are one of the longest established Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS)-accredited centres.
This course specifically aims to develop your practical skills for the efficient construction, law and financial management of the built environment. Overall, it provides sound preparation to become a professional in the construction business.
What will I experience?
On this course you can:
- Visit sites and study locally based case studies that will introduce you to the professional markets and environments
- Attend and contribute to current debates by visiting guest speakers
- Gain a solid understanding of contemporary issues in the construction sector
What opportunities might it lead to?
Quantity surveying is an important, high-value business asset and sound professional advice on it is increasingly sought after. This degree is accredited by the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS). Once you complete your studies and have found your first job, you can begin training to become a Chartered Quantity Surveyor.
Many of our graduates now hold senior positions in industry and the quality of the course has been recognised by both the construction profession and the national press.
Here are some routes our graduates have pursued:
- quantity surveying
- property development
- project management
The course gives me the opportunity to enhance my quantity surveying skills whilst developing practical skills needed for everyday work in the construction industry.
William Adjei Okpoti, MSc Quantity Surveying student 2012
or apply now
- 1 year full time, 2 years part time
- 2018 entry requirements
- A good honours degree or equivalent academic qualification in a technical or analytical discipline. Exceptionally, applicants from non-technical/analytical disciplines but with proven and substantiated experience in the property or construction fields will be considered. English language proficiency at a minimum of IELTS band 6.0 with no component score below 5.5.
UK/EU/Channel Islands and Isle of Man students
2017/18: full time: £5,200, part time: £2,600 p/a* (2 years)
2017/18: full time: £14,400, part time: £7,200 p/a* (2 years)
* Fees are subject to annual increase.
+44 (0)23 9284 5566
- School of Civil Engineering and Surveying
- Programme specification
- Programme specification (PT)
Structure & Teaching
You will be taught by staff from a wide range of commercial, construction and quantity surveying practice, including quantity surveyors, architects, project managers, construction lawyers and structural engineers. Their hands-on experience is reflected in the modern and diverse nature of this course, which provides you with a flexible degree programme that allows you to tailor the course to your own interests, whilst acquiring a range of skills and experiences that will be of direct benefit in the workplace.
Here are the units you will study:
- Construction Law, Contracts and Dispute Resolution: This unit provides a systematic understanding and critical awareness of the background to and working of the legal system in England and Wales relevant to the practice of a quantity surveyor.
- Construction Management and Safety: This unit will prepare the student for the commercial environment of construction and will develop a critical awareness of the commercial and environmental context within which the Project Manager operates.
- Construction Technology, Measurement and Tendering: This unit provides a comprehensive understanding of how buildings and their services are designed and specified in order to formulate an Architect's or Structural Engineer's intentions.
- Pre-Contract and Post-Contract Quantity Surveying Practice: This unit will provide a systematic understanding of the pre-contract and post-contract roles of the Quantity Surveyor.
- Dissertation: There gives you the chance to carry out and complete an independent dissertation project during the final stage of the course. You will be able to choose a subject area of particular personal interest, within the broad scope of the built environment.
Teaching and Assessment
The classroom element of teaching will be via lectures, seminars and tutorials. However, the very nature this course requires a proactive and hands-on approach to learning that also incorporates site visits and field work.
How are you assessed?
Alongside the more traditional forms of assessment, this course is assessed in a variety of different ways that will provide you with valuable skills and experience in activities such as teamwork, report production, making presentations and web authoring. You will also be expected to complete a dissertation project, in a subject of your own choice, which will be developed and conducted with the advice and guidance of a personal tutor.
Facilities & Features
We organise a stimulating property development lecture series giving you the chance to attend and contribute to topical debates that surround emerging property and business issues. Delivered by specially invited professional practitioners, the lecture series provides an opportunity for business updates and a first-hand perspective on both local and international property environments.
Drop in any time and get one-to-one help with that tricky maths or stats problem. With handouts on key topics to take away and computer-aided learning packages, we can get the problem solved and help you improve your numeracy skills.
Modern, comfortable and a great learning environment, our library offers a wealth of information including 400,000 books, DVDs, maps and thousands of online ejournals and newspapers. Many electronic resources are available anywhere, 24/7 and our friendly staff are always on hand to help.
Budgeting for your studies
There may be extra costs arising from your studies which you will need to consider when planning your expenditure.
Some are common costs to all courses of study. These may include the cost of study texts, reference books, photocopying and computer supplies. Others relate to specific courses and may include field trips, materials and specialist equipment.
Other costs to consider
We provide you with hard hats and Hi-Vis vests. However, you will need to buy your own safety boots which cost approximately £35.
Careers & Opportunities
Once you have completed this course and obtained your first job, you can begin training to become a Chartered Surveyor with a professional qualification. This is known as the Assessment of Professional Competence (APC) and is a structured on-the-job training scheme ending with an assessment interview. Once you have satisfactorily completed this, you can apply to become a member of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS). This enables you to use the designated status Chartered Surveyor and the letters MRICS after your name.
You will benefit from our strong links with both industry and the surveying profession. Graduates from this course are highly regarded and sought after in quantity surveying roles. This course also provides you with the skills and knowledge to support employability in a range of professional roles in the built environment, both in the UK and internationally.
One of the benefits of studying at Portsmouth is the support that we provide to our Master's and Research Degree students in career planning. Our careers and recruitment service can assist you in career research and finding employment opportunities. Help is also available if you wish to find a part-time job while studying your degree.
We offer our postgraduate students and alumni one-to-one appointments with a careers adviser, or an online service for those not able to travel back to the University. Our alumni can call on our career services for five years after graduation.
In addition, regular employability events offer you the chance to meet employers, find out about different career sectors and improve your applications or CV. The Graduate Summer Programme provides a range of guidance and employability seminars and workshops.
Benefits of Postgraduate Study
Regardless of whether you are seeking to build on your studies, further your career or pursue a career change, a postgraduate qualification adds to your achievement record.
- Postgraduate study may greatly improve your chances of getting that first break.
- Many graduate employers prefer the higher intellectual rigour displayed in postgraduate students.
- Recruiters for roles requiring specialist knowledge or research particularly target those with higher level qualifications.
- Postgraduate study shows you can take the challenge of in-depth study; acquiring transferable skills in team working and problem solving techniques.
- If you have a passion for a particular subject, postgraduate study can also be something undertaken as part of your own development at an appropriate time in your life.
Apply now or visit us
Online application form
Apply direct using our online form
Your application will be received by the University Admissions Centre for consideration.
Postgraduate Information Days
We will confirm the dates of events related to 2018 entry soon. Visit the link below to get a reminder when booking opens.
Other opportunities to visit
Download our free walking tour PDF for a self-guided tour of the University. You can visit Monday to Friday between 8.30am and 4pm.
We have an open-door policy so you will be able to take a look in our buildings, speak to some of our support services and get a feel for the campus.
Can't get to Portsmouth?
If you can’t make it to Portsmouth, come and speak with us about the courses we offer and life and study in Portsmouth at one of the events we attend around the UK.
Staff from our International Office also regularly attend overseas exhibitions. To find out more about these and our visits to your region see our International Office exhibitions page.
If you would like to speak with a member of staff about any courses you are interested in, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will arrange this for you.
Fees and Funding
Find out more about fees and funding available to you at Portsmouth.