MBA (Strategic Leadership) (degree apprenticeship)
An exciting MBA opportunity for current and aspiring senior leaders
About this course
Our innovative MBA (Strategic Leadership) course offers middle and senior managers the opportunity to earn a globally recognised postgraduate academic qualification and the highest level of professional management award: the Level 7 'Senior Leaders' apprenticeship.
Individuals who choose the MBA (Strategic Leadership) and Level 7 'Senior Leaders' apprenticeship pathway are awarded Chartered Management status by the Chartered Management Institute (CMI) on successfully completing the 'Senior Leaders' apprenticeship.
The course is also open to individuals who do not wish to follow the Level 7 degree apprenticeship pathway but wish to earn the MBA (Strategic Leadership) degree award.
This exciting new course combines academic excellence and professional expertise to further develop your own talent and capability and the capability of the organisation you work for.
To find out more, register for one of our regular open evenings where you can meet teaching staff and current students.
Why take this course?
You will develop your strategic leadership and managerial capabilities throughout the programme, given its strong emphasis on applied learning and implementation.
It will give you the confidence, knowledge and skills to make you a more effective leader in your current role and be better prepared to take on more challenging leadership roles in the future.
Why this course matters for employers
The MBA (Strategic Leadership) course is a part-time (day release) course aimed at developing senior leadership capability to enable senior leaders and managers to define a clear sense of purpose and strategic intent for their organisations and business units.
Course participants will develop their individual strategic leadership and managerial capability and will support the talent development of the teams and the organisations they work with. As they strengthen their own capabilities to become even more effective in their current roles, they will also prepare to take on more challenging senior positions in the future.
What will I experience?
This course includes:
- Integrated management subjects
- Executive coaching
- A work-based learning project
- An individual strategy project
- A leadership development residential
The MBA (Strategic Leadership) degree apprenticeship route:
- Awards successful graduates with an MBA (Strategic Leadership) degree and prepares you for the CMI degree apprenticeship qualification for senior leaders (conducted through an independent assessor) at the end of the course – offering both an academic degree and a professional qualification.
- Leads to full CMI Chartered Manager status.
- Attracts significant Government funding through the Apprenticeship Levy, which means your employer covers your course tuition fees.
- Requires at least five years of relevant work experience to apply.
The MBA (Strategic Leadership) degree route:
- Is an excellent part-time MBA programme combining the best of academic excellence and professional expertise.
- Does not attract degree apprenticeship funding, but you may apply for a postgraduate scholarship and/or a postgraduate student loan.
- Requires two years of relevant postgraduate work experience and a good honours degree/professional qualification to apply (or five years' experience and a work-based portfolio if you do not have an undergraduate degree).
What opportunities might it lead to?
The MBA (Strategic Leadership) is a catalyst for a transformational journey.
Some MBA graduates accelerate their careers by progressing to more senior levels of leadership. Others use the MBA to prepare for their next career opportunity, such as exploring the potential of entrepreneurship
The MBA gave me a more rounded understanding of business as a whole and this now underpins much of my client-facing work.
Gary Jeffries, Managing Director of Hughes Ellard and Chairman of the Solent Local Enterprise Partnership (Executive MBA graduate)
Degree apprenticeships – information for employers
Subject to approval
- 2 years part time (day release)
- 2017 entry requirements
- A second-class honours degree (or equivalent, including professional qualifications), not necessarily in a business related subject, plus at least 3 years of work experience at a professional or managerial level. Alternatively, applicants without formal qualifications, but with a minimum of 5 years of management experience, are welcome to apply. Applicants may be subject to interview and/or be asked to submit a portfolio in support of their application. English language proficiency at a minimum of IELTS band 6.5 with no component score below 6.0.
Standard Degree fee
Home/EU/Channel Islands and Isle of Man students: the programme fee is £11,250, paid over two years at £5,625 per annum.International students: the programme fee is £13,300, paid over two years at £6,650 per annum.
Degree Apprenticeship fee
The programme fee is £11,250 with a 20% discount applied to degree apprenticeship students, generating a discounted fee of £9,000. The fee is paid over two years at £4,500 per annum. The discounted programme fee is shared between the Government and some employers, meaning no cost to you as the degree apprentice.
The alumni scholarship or any other scholarship is not available for apprentices on this course.
Please see our Degree Apprenticeships page for further information.
Please note: the following tuition fee terms and conditions do not apply for this particular course.
+44 (0) 23 9284 2991
- Portsmouth Business School
Structure & Teaching
- Strategic Management
- Coaching for Leaders and Managers
- Financial Management
- Innovation, Enterprise and Entrepreneuralism
- Corporate Communications
- Strategic Leadership and Change
- Applied Learning Portfolio
- Integrated Strategy Project
Teaching and assessment
You will receive regular feedback on your development throughout the course.
Our collegial, supportive learning environment makes use of lectures and seminars, business simulations, group discussions and case studies will help you analyse complex problems, evaluate opportunities and risks, propose solutions and plan their implementation, drawing on current management research and practice.
Academic performance is assessed through course work and work-based learning projects.
Sales and Marketing Manager and MBA alumna
Katie Ilincariu is Europe and South America sales manager for Fosse Liquitrol – a company which provides spill control systems to industries such as aerospace and engineering. She decided to embark on the MBA at the University of Portsmouth Business School to further develop her knowledge and understanding of business and established business practices.
The MBA is a key to unlocking the doors to senior and executive level management roles. The pace of the course allowed me to carry out a full-time international sales role at the same time as studying.
Watch Manager and MBA alumnus
Paul Vine, a firefighter from Southampton, had often thought about pursuing a postgraduate degree.
I have always wanted to complete an MBA. I’ve seen others within the organisation complete the course and had heard how rewarding, interesting and appropriate it was. The fire service is going through a period of huge rapid change – as is most of the public sector – and all the areas of the course, including finance, marketing and operations, are playing an important role as the public sector increasingly has to behave like a business. My advice to anyone thinking about doing an MBA is do it.
Facilities & Features
The leadership and coaching development residential launches the programme’s focus on strengthening your capabilities as a leader and manager. This two-day conference introduces you to the MBA coaching scheme, assesses your strengths and opportunities as a leader, and sets the stage for your executive coaching and leadership development planning.
The MBA executive coaching scheme supports your growth and transformation as a leader. Individual conversations with a trained coach are a good way to reflect on your learning and integrate MBA knowledge and skills into your leadership behaviours. Up to six coaching sessions are offered each academic year.
Work-based learning project
A work-based learning project uses your management knowledge and skills to complete a business project, exploring a strategic challenge to create value for your employer or another client organisation. Participants define the project aim, scope and objectives, then plan and implement the project, making recommendations based on the findings.
Applied Learning Portfolio
An Applied Learning Portfolio encourages and supports critical reflection on your learning throughout the course, and it demonstrates how you are applying new knowledge and behaviours in a work-based context. Although this is relevant for all course participants, it is particularly valuable for those completing the Level 7 Senior Leaders’ degree apprenticeship pathway who are required to complete the CMI assessment at the end of the course.
Budgeting for your studies
There may be extra costs arising from your studies which you will need to consider when planning your expenditure.
Some are common costs to all courses of study. These may include the cost of study texts, reference books, photocopying and computer supplies. Others relate to specific courses and may include field trips, materials and specialist equipment.
Other costs to consider
The MBA (Strategic Leadership) degree apprenticeship route prepares participants for CMI’s professional qualification for Senior Leaders, one requirement of which is to complete an end-point assessment. Conducted by an independent reviewer, the end-point assessment will incur an additional fee which is in not part of the University of Portsmouth’s course tuition fee, and is estimated to be approximately £1,200 - £1,600 per assessment.
All MBA students can expect to incur some additional expenses common to all course of academic study. These may include the costs of study texts, reference books, learning materials, photocopying, field trips and specialist equipment.
Careers & Opportunities
Benefits to you
- Stay ahead of the competition by working in your job and gaining your degree at the same time.
- Learn the theory of business and apply it to your workplace.
- Gain job-specific training.
- Have access to the support and resources at the University of Portsmouth.
Benefits to your employer
- Grow their own staff, instilling their business culture from an early stage.
- Get the skills and knowledge that are directly relevant to their business.
- Support succession planning and enhance retention of a skilled workforce.
- Work in partnership with the University to maximise effects of the programme.
- Have access to Portsmouth Business School's expertise and the opportunity to engage in our wider business activities.
Employers can find out more on the Portsmouth Business School website.
MBA students review and refine their future career plans throughout the programme supported by course tutors, executive coaches and Career Services staff.
Some of the roles MBA graduates have taken on after completing the course include:
- Chief Executive
- Global Director
- General Manager
- Programme Manager
- Business Consultant
- Finance Director
Career planning and support
One benefit of studying at Portsmouth is the strong support provided by the University’s careers and recruitment services team, who offer career advice and planning services. Portsmouth alumni may call on Career Services for up to five years after graduation.
Additionally you may get assistance with a job search, volunteer opportunities and business start-up advice. Career planning is also supported by a leadership development workshop and by executive coaching sessions offered as part of the MBA course.
Our Enterprise and Employability Week, professional networking events and local job fairs give you the opportunity to explore potential opportunities and hear from talent management experts.
Benefits of Postgraduate Study
Regardless of how you intend to progress in your career or pursue a career change, a postgraduate business management qualification adds to your management profile. Recruiters for roles requiring specialist knowledge or research particularly target those with higher level qualifications, such as the MBA.