Coaching and Development
Become competent leaders, managers and training professionals
Why take this course?
If you wish to develop your skills, knowledge and understanding in the rapidly developing field of coaching without giving up employment, then this course is ideal.
This part-time, work-based course is provided by the University of Portsmouth in conjunction with The Performance Coach (TPC), a well-respected company who provide coaching, training and consultancy services.
What will I experience?
On this course you can:
- Participate in live web-based chat forums to discuss your work with TPC trainers and other students
- Make an effective contribution to your workplace, as well as improve your career prospects
- Tap in to our Library’s vast selection of electronic resources, which can be accessed from anywhere with an internet connection
What opportunities might it lead to?
There are three separate stages in our Postgraduate Coaching and Development programme, including the Postgraduate Certificate (PgCert), Postgraduate Diploma (PgDip) and Master’s (MSc). You can enter the programme at any stage, depending on your qualifications and experience. Completion of each stage enables you to continue to the next, with or without a break, in order to graduate with a full Master’s degree.
Here are some routes our graduates have pursued:
- business development
- consultancy work
- health sector
The course always aims to balance rigorous academic study with practical learning.
Martyn Carr, coaching and development student
- 1 year part time
An honours degree in a relevant subject, or equivalent professional experience and/or qualifications in coaching or other related field.
English language proficiency at a minimum of IELTS band 6.5 with a minimum score of 6.0 in all individual components, or equivalent.
Please contact the Postgraduate Centre in Portsmouth Business School regarding fees for the academic year 2013/14.
+44 (0)23 9284 4602
- Portsmouth Business School
Structure & Teaching
Teaching is delivered through five workshops over ten days covering a range of specific coaching topics, including 30 hours of coaching practise.
Here are the topics you will study:
Foundation coaching skills:
- Develop core coach competencies
- Understand the key skills and models for coaching and be able to apply these in a coaching relationship
- Define coaching and understand the range of coaching styles
- Understand the boundaries for a coaching relationship and how to contract effectively
- Explore the importance of supervision within coaching
- Learn to self-reflect and appraise coaching capabilities to identify areas for personal development in coaching, and plan for new learning
- Exploring your vision and identity as a coach; understanding your signature strengths and areas of focus
- Becoming more self aware and emotionally intelligent as a coach
- Learning to self-evaluate performance and ways of being as a coach
- Helping clients develop emotional intelligence and personal insight
- Exploring a number of different concepts and tools which generate personal insights in others and enable personal change
Applied positive psychology in coaching:
- Understand different tools, concepts and approaches from Positive Psychology and how these can be used to impact learning and performance
- Helping a system and clients to become more resilient and have more of a strengths-based focus
- Working with purpose and meaning
- Using transpersonal tools and techniques to create deep awareness and personal change
- Understand key leadership models and frameworks
- Explore models, tools and concepts for effective leadership development
- Experience practical tools and techniques which are congruent with developing leaders
- Enabling leaders to create a vision for their leadership, to think strategically, to problem-solve
- Coaching leaders in transition
- Assess participants' current level of coaching competence
Teaching and Assessment
You will be taught by TPC’s world-class trainers via organised workshops to develop your knowledge and understanding of coaching theory and application. This course takes a work-based learning approach which allows you to choose the direction of your studies and apply your learning to your workplace.
How are you assessed?
Assessment is also orientated around the workplace in the form of two 4,000-word work-based learning projects.
Facilities & Features
Although you may not be campus based, you will still benefit from web, email or phone access to many of our facilities and services. Our student website, LookUP, will be your one-stop shop for all news, information and links to other services, and 24/7 online access to the University Library’s vast electronic book, journal and database collections will help you find the right resources for your studies.
Due to the work-based nature of this course and the potential pressure of juggling your course alongside work life, we aim to provide you with as much support as possible. There are tutors available to support your studies via online tutorials, email and telephone conferencing. You will also be assigned a personal tutor who will offer support and guidance throughout your studies.
Academic Skills Unit (ASK)
The ASK unit will help you become a successful university student. Our workshops are designed to improve a number of essential academic skills from essay writing and understanding plagiarism to revision and exam techniques. This is a great way to refresh yourself on university study ensuring you perform to your full potential.
Modern, comfortable and a great learning environment, our library offers a wealth of information including 400,000 books, DVDs, maps and thousands of online ejournals and newspapers. Many electronic resources are available anywhere, 24/7 and our friendly staff are always on hand to help.
Careers & Opportunities
This course is ideal if you are seeking to use a coaching approach in a line management role, looking to build a coaching culture within your organisation to enhance performance or even embark on a second career as a professional freelance coach. Previous graduates have also gone on to set up their own coaching companies and coach training organisations.
Whether you are an internal or external coach, this postgraduate programme will help you make an incredible difference to your clients.
One of the benefits of studying at Portsmouth is the support that we provide to our Master's and Research Degrees students in career planning. Our careers and recruitment service – Purple Door – can assist you in career research and finding employment opportunities. Help is also available if you wish to find a part-time job while studying your degree. We offer our postgraduate students and alumni one-to-one appointments with a careers adviser, or an online service for those not able to travel back to the University. Our alumni can call on our career services for five years after graduation.
In addition, regular employability events offer you the chance to meet employers, find out about different career sectors and improve your applications or CV. The Graduate Summer Programme provides a range of guidance and employability seminars and workshops.