Occupational Health and Safety Management
A flexible qualification for both UK and international health and safety professionals
Why take this course?
This course responds to the professional development needs of those who are involved in the promotion of Health and Safety Management within their workplace.
Our distance learning postgraduate certificate (PgCert) in Occupational Health and Safety Management allows you to study for a recognised accredited postgraduate university qualification without leaving your job.
This course aims to enhance your abilities to analyse problems, research and propose solutions and to develop your confidence in delivering sound professional judgements in the workplace.
What will I experience?
The course will provide you with the opportunity to analyse and evaluate the management, regulation and promotion of occupational health and safety in UK and international workplaces.
This is a distance learning programme and, therefore, it is essential that you have access to the web, as this will be the main source of your learning material.
You will be supported through our online virtual learning environment called Moodle. The Moodle environment is a rich source of information - both formal and informal.
You will be directed towards independent study through a range of activities, including online tutorials, podcasts and tutor-led discussion sessions, which will provide you with the opportunity to interact with staff and fellow students.
What opportunities might it lead to?
This is a dynamic and forward-looking course, enabling you to fulfil your potential as a health and safety professional.
The course is accredited by the Institution of Occupational Safety and Health (IOSH). As the chartered body for health and safety professionals, IOSH is the largest professional health and safety organisation in the world. Once you have successfully completed this course, you can make an application to IOSH for Graduate membership. Students also have the opportunity to work towards their Chartered status with IOSH through our unique professional development process.
The PgCert was topically dynamic, offered great discussion forums with fellow professionals across the world and the tutor and admin support was incredibly robust, helpful and friendly.
David Rose, PgCert Occupational Health and Safety Management (DL) student
or apply now
- 1 year part time distance learning. Start: September or January
- 2018 entry requirements
- Appropriate experience and proven aptitude in health and safety, a certificated professional/vocational qualification or an undergraduate degree or equivalent. If you do not hold a level 6 qualification you may be required to present evidence of your ability to study at level 6. English language proficiency at a minimum of IELTS band 6.0 with no component score below 5.5.
UK/EU/Channel Islands and Isle of Man students
2017/18 entry: part time: £2,970 p/a*
This course is not eligible for Government Postgraduate Loan
2017/18 entry: part time: £4,800 p/a*
*Tuition fee is subject to annual increase.
+44 (0)23 9284 6260
- Learning at Work
- Programme specification
- Accreditations & Endorsements
Structure & Teaching
You will study two units and you will be provided with online course materials which will guide you through the required learning for the course.
Here are the units you will study:
- Management Essentials for Health and Safety: This unit aims to provide you with an appreciation of health and safety management and its integration into organisational management systems. You will study the nature of organisations and how management functions can be directed towards the recognition and control of risk. You will develop knowledge and interpretation of the requirements and responsibilities imposed by laws in respect of occupational health and safety. You will also advance your understanding of risk management and reflect upon the relationship between human behaviour, culture and risk.
- Risk Management in Practice: This unit concerns the operational practice of health and safety by considering the potential risks, from both a health and safety perspective, and their subsequent assessment and control. The aim of the unit is to explore the potential hazards in a variety of industries both UK based and international, and to develop strategies for the assessment and control of hazards associated with the workplace and working practices.
Teaching and Assessment
You will have access to a range of online teaching and learning resources, including:
- tutorials and lectures
- course materials
- discussion forums
- academic skills help
- PDP (Personal Development Planning)/IDP (Initial Development Planning)
- quizzes and assessments
How are you assessed?
Assessment is solely based on the submission of your written assignments.
This course not only enables you to gain the knowledge you need for your current role and future career aspirations, but to develop the key transferable skills required by employers. We help you to become independent lifelong learners who feel confident in making sound professional judgements in the workplace.
Facilities & Features
Online tutorials and lectures will assist you with a variety of study skills and research methods. The Academic Skills Department is also on hand to support you with the requirements of academic writing. Although you are not required to study on campus throughout the course, you are invited to attend an induction session at the start of the programme and, of course, your graduation ceremony at the end. For those unable to attend induction in person, we provide an online induction course to get you off to the best start in your studies.
Due to the distance-learning nature of this course and the potential pressure of juggling your course alongside your work and home life, we aim to provide you with as much support as possible. You’ll have two channels of support - a personal tutor who can offer advice, guidance and moral support and an academic tutor to support you through your taught units.
Tap into our Library’s vast selection of electronic resources including e-books and journals, which are available anywhere, 24/7 and our friendly staff are always on hand to help. We have created a series of videos aimed to help you use the University Library resources and to search more effectively for the information you require for your research and assessments.
The feature I found most beneficial to me as a distance learner was the accessibility and support from the tutors and the learning team; guidance, support and mentoring were always positive, focused and relevant.
Peter Nicholas, PgCert Occupational Health and Safety Management (DL) student
Careers & Opportunities
No matter what your situation or qualifications, this course is designed to ensure that your career in Health and Safety Management is on a very sure footing. Our aim is to give you an excellent student experience focused on the knowledge and skills essential for roles in the global workplace. The fact that many of our graduates now hold senior positions in industry attests to this. Previous graduates have pursued successful Health and Safety careers, for example in the Oil and Gas Industry, Construction, Local and National Governments, the Manufacturing Sector and Film and Television.
Benefits to you
- Your existing knowledge counts towards the degree award
- You gain a university qualification without having to take a career break
- Learning through work-based projects reduces the amount of time you have to spend studying at home
- You learn what you need as you need it
- You can tailor the pace of learning to suit demands on your time
- Learning leads to professional recognition and career enhancement
Benefits to your employer
- Staff education brings commercial and strategic awareness
- Commercially valuable work projects are part of the learning programme
- The organisation gains knowledge of best practice and the latest technologies from work-based projects
- University tutors provide new knowledge and advice
- Better qualified staff enhance the organisation’s leadership position
- Staff who have been supported to gain Partnership qualifications show increased loyalty to their employers
- Employee motivation is increased as they develop their skills
Pursuing this career path whilst undertaking a full-time job is important for providing assurance to management and auditors that I am competent in ensuring excellence in Health and Safety in the workplace.
Christine Wiliamson, PgCert Occupational Health and Safety Management (DL) student
How to apply
To apply for this course you must request an application form from The Learning at Work office either by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or phoning on 023 9284 6260.
To find out more about the application process please visit one of the following links, depending on you your course of interest: