Occupational Health and Safety Management
Become a qualified health and safety professional
Why take this course?
This course responds to the professional development needs of those who are involved in the promotion of health, safety and environmental management within their workplace.
It will provide you with a solid understanding of risk management, hazard assessment and control, and the overall professional practice of occupational health and safety for a variety of industries both UK based and international.
What will I experience?
On this course you can:
- Participate in live web-based chat forums to discuss your work with lecturers and other students
- Take advantage of detailed guidance on study skills, research methods, research project management and essay writing skills
- Tap in to our Library’s vast selection of electronic resources, which can be accessed from anywhere with an internet connection
What opportunities might it lead to?
This is a dynamic and forward-looking course enabling you to fulfil your potential as a health and safety professional. The quality of this course is recognised by the Institution of Occupational Safety and Health (IOSH) and we are committed to providing you with innovative and flexible tutoring informed by significant research. With us you'll be able to equip yourself with recognised postgraduate skills and attributes empowering a spirit of independence, creativity and enterprise.
The PgCert was topically dynamic, offered great discussion forums with fellow professionals across the world and the tutor and admin support was incredibly robust, helpful and friendly.
David Rose, PgCert Occupational Health and Safety Management (DL) student
- 1 year part time by distance learning
Appropriate experience and proven aptitude in health and safety, a certificated professional/vocational qualification or an undergraduate degree or equivalent. If you do not hold a level 6 qualification you may be required to present evidence of your ability to study at level 7.
English language proficiency at a minimum of IELTS band 6.0 with no component score below 5.5
UK/EU/Channel Islands and Isle of Man Students: £2,830
International Students (non-EU): £3,970
*Please note that all fees are subject to annual increase.
+44 (0)23 9284 2942
- Learning at Work
Structure & Teaching
You will study two units and will be provided with a series of workbooks which guide you through the required learning for the course. You have the opportunity to attend an induction day at the start of the year to explain how to progress successfully through the course. This is presented both on campus and online.
Here are the units you will study:
- Management Essentials for Health and Safety: This unit aims to provide you with an appreciation of health and safety management and its integration into organisational management systems. You will study the nature of organisations and how management functions can be directed towards the recognition and control of risk. You will develop knowledge and interpretation of the requirements and responsibilities imposed by laws in respect of occupational health and safety. You will also advance your understanding of risk management and reflect upon the relationship between human behaviour, culture and risk.
- Risk Management in Practice: This unit concerns the operational practice of health and safety by considering the potential risks, from both a health and safety perspective, and their subsequent assessment and control. The aim of the unit is to explore the potential hazards in a variety of industries both UK based and international, and to develop strategies for the assessment and control of hazards associated with the workplace and working practices.
Teaching and Assessment
It is essential that you have access to the web as this will be the main source of your learning material. This online teaching method enables you to continue in full-time work, and indeed, your work often provides the central focus for your studies.
You will have access to varied online resources, including:
- tutorials and lectures
- course materials
- discussion forums
- academic skills help
- PDP (Personal Development Planning)/IDP (Initial Development Planning)
- quizzes and assessments
How are you assessed?
Assessment is solely based on the submission of your written assignments.
Facilities & Features
Although you may not be campus based, you will still benefit from web, email or phone access to many of our facilities and services. Our student website, LookUP, will be your one-stop shop for all news, information and links to other services, and 24/7 online access to the University Library’s vast electronic book, journal and database collections will help you find the right resources for your research.
Due to the distance-learning nature of this course and the potential pressure of juggling your course alongside work life, we aim to provide you with as much support as possible. There are tutors available to support your studies via online tutorials, email and telephone conferencing. You will also be assigned a personal tutor who will offer support and guidance throughout your studies.
Modern, comfortable and a great learning environment, our library offers a wealth of information including 400,000 books, DVDs, maps and thousands of online ejournals and newspapers. Many electronic resources are available anywhere, 24/7 and our friendly staff are always on hand to help.
The feature I found most beneficial to me as a distance learner was the accessibility and support from the tutors and the learning team; guidance, support and mentoring were always positive, focused and relevant.
Peter Nicholas, PgCert Occupational Health and Safety Management (DL) student
Careers & Opportunities
Due to the flexible distance learning style of this course, we have students on oil rigs, on ships and submarines, in isolated locations in the UK and worldwide who study where they want, when they want, at a time and place to suit them.
No matter what your situation or qualifications, this course is designed to ensure that your career in health and safety management is on a very sure footing. Our aim is to give you an excellent student experience focused on knowledge and skills essential for roles in the global workforce. The fact that many of our graduates now hold senior positions in industry attests to this.
One of the benefits of studying at Portsmouth is the support that we provide to our Master's and Research Degrees students in career planning. Our careers and recruitment service – Purple Door – can assist you in career research and finding employment opportunities. Help is also available if you wish to find a part-time job while studying your degree. We offer our postgraduate students and alumni one-to-one appointments with a careers adviser, or an online service for those not able to travel back to the University. Our alumni can call on our career services for five years after graduation.
In addition, regular employability events offer you the chance to meet employers, find out about different career sectors and improve your applications or CV. The Graduate Summer Programme provides a range of guidance and employability seminars and workshops.
Pursuing this career path whilst undertaking a full-time job is important for providing assurance to management and auditors that I am competent in ensuring excellence in Health and Safety in the workplace.
Christine Wiliamson, PgCert Occupational Health and Safety Management (DL) student