Coaching and Development
Become competent leaders, managers and training professionals
Why take this course?
If you wish to develop your skills, knowledge and understanding in the rapidly developing field of coaching without giving up employment, then this is the ideal course for you.
This course consists of three separate stages, the Postgraduate Certificate, the Postgraduate Diploma and the Master’s, each taking a year to complete. You can enter the programme at any stage relevant to your qualifications and experience. Completion of each stage enables you to continue to the next, with or without a break between each stage, but there is no obligation to do so. These part-time, work-based courses allow you to fit in studying easily around work and other commitments.
This programme is aimed at leaders, managers and training professionals who want to develop their skills, knowledge and understanding in this rapidly developing field. Students may be seeking to use a coaching approach in a line management role, looking to build a coaching culture within their organisation to enhance performance or even embark on a second career as a professional freelance coach. This course is provided by the University of Portsmouth in conjunction with TPC Leadership, a well-respected company which provides coaching, training and consultancy services.
Find out more about this course and our facilities by attending one of our regular open evenings where you can meet teaching staff and current students.
What will I experience?
On this course you can:
- participate in live web-based chat forums to discuss your work with TPC trainers and other students
- make an effective contribution to your workplace, as well as improve your career prospects
- tap in to our Library’s vast selection of electronic resources, which can be accessed from anywhere with an internet connection
What opportunities might it lead to?
Previous students have gone on to set up their own coaching companies and coaching training organisations. Here are some other routes our graduates have pursued:
Here are some routes our graduates have pursued:
- business development
- consultancy work
- health sector
The course always aims to balance rigorous academic study with practical learning.
Martyn Carr, coaching and development student
- 1 year part time. Start: September or January.
- 2017 entry requirements
- An honours degree in a relevant subject, or equivalent professional experience and/or qualifications in coaching or other related field. English language proficiency at a minimum of IELTS band 6.5 with no component score below 6.0.
Please contact the School of Human Resources and Marketing Management for further information.
This course is not eligible for Government Postgraduate Loan
+44 (0) 23 9284 2991
- Organisation Studies and Human Resource Management
- Programme specification
Structure & Teaching
Teaching is delivered through five workshops over ten days covering a range of specific coaching topics, including 30 hours of coaching practise.
Here are the topics you will study:
- Creating a deep awareness of values, beliefs and identity with clients
- Introduce a range of tools and techniques for working with coachees at deeper levels to unlock barriers and help them reach their potential
- Creating internal transformation to enable outstanding high performance
- Enable coach to get into high performance state to serve coaches
Coaching within organisations:
- Understand the impact the organisation has on the coach, the coachee and the context
- Learn how a coach can create the most effective way to partner an organisation to create a way of working that delivers outstanding results
- Develop a systems view
- Explore further the importance of diversity within the workplace and the contribution made by coaching
- Helping the coach understand organisations better
Coaching teams and groups:
- Learn how a team coach can enhance the performance of teams and groups
- Appreciate the complexities in coaching teams and groups
- Explore approaches in team development and team performance and the relationship between them
- Develop core team coaching skills and approaches
- Learn techniques to influence group dynamics
- Assess participants' current level of coaching capability
- Reflect on development throughout the programme, identifying key strengths and future focus for practitioner development including supervision
- Be fully aware of their own process when coaching, and the complexity of intra-personal and interpersonal dynamics
- Use a variety of advanced methods and techniques to address business and performance issues
- Skillfully apply their knowledge and skills of the personal and transpersonal dimensions of human experience to coaching in an assessed coaching session
Teaching and Assessment
The course takes a work-based learning approach which allows you to apply this knowledge and theory to your workplace. This approach means you produce current and applied work-based assignments for assessment.
This programme is assessed, quality assured and awarded by the University of Portsmouth whilst TPC's world-class trainers and facilitators deliver course content and work with you to develop your knowledge and understanding of coaching
How are you assessed?
Assessment is orientated around the workplace in the form of two 4,000-word work-based learning projects.
Progression: This programme offers a work-based Master's qualification using the integrated flexible Master's framework leading to the award of MSc.
Facilities & Features
Although you may not be campus based, you will still benefit from web, email or phone access to many of our facilities and services. Our student website will be your one-stop shop for all news, information and links to other services, and 24/7 online access to the University Library’s vast electronic book, journal and database collections will help you find the right resources for your studies.
The Performance Coach has a wide range of online tools to assist you in your studies
Due to the work-based nature of this course and the potential pressure of juggling your course alongside work life, we aim to provide you with as much support as possible. There are tutors available to support your studies via online tutorials, email and telephone conferencing. You will also be assigned a personal tutor who will offer support and guidance throughout your studies.
Academic Skills Unit (ASK)
The ASK unit will help you become a successful university student. Our workshops are designed to improve a number of essential academic skills from essay writing and understanding plagiarism to revision and exam techniques. This is a great way to refresh yourself on university study ensuring you perform to your full potential.
Modern, comfortable and a great learning environment, our library offers a wealth of information including 400,000 books, DVDs, maps and thousands of online ejournals and newspapers. Many electronic resources are available anywhere, 24/7 and our friendly staff are always on hand to help.
Budgeting for your studies
There may be extra costs arising from your studies which you will need to consider when planning your expenditure.
Some are common costs to all courses of study. These may include the cost of study texts, reference books, photocopying and computer supplies. Others relate to specific courses and may include field trips, materials and specialist equipment.
Careers & Opportunities
This course is ideal if you are seeking to use a coaching approach in a line management role, looking to build a coaching culture within your organisation to enhance performance or even embark on a second career as a professional freelance coach. Previous graduates have also gone on to set up their own coaching companies and coach training organisations.
Whether you are an internal or external coach, this postgraduate programme will help you make an incredible difference to your clients.
One of the benefits of studying at Portsmouth is the support that we provide to our Master's and Research Degree students in career planning. Our careers and recruitment service can assist you in career research and finding employment opportunities. Help is also available if you wish to find a part-time job while studying your degree.
We offer our postgraduate students and alumni one-to-one appointments with a careers adviser, or an online service for those not able to travel back to the University. Our alumni can call on our career services for five years after graduation.
In addition, regular employability events offer you the chance to meet employers, find out about different career sectors and improve your applications or CV. The Graduate Summer Programme provides a range of guidance and employability seminars and workshops.
Benefits of Postgraduate Study
Regardless of whether you are seeking to build on your studies, further your career or pursue a career change, a postgraduate qualification adds to your achievement record.
- Postgraduate study may greatly improve your chances of getting that first break.
- Many graduate employers prefer the higher intellectual rigour displayed in postgraduate students.
- Recruiters for roles requiring specialist knowledge or research particularly target those with higher level qualifications.
- Postgraduate study shows you can take the challenge of in-depth study; acquiring transferable skills in team working and problem solving techniques.
- If you have a passion for a particular subject, postgraduate study can also be something undertaken as part of your own development at an appropriate time in your life.
Online application form
Apply direct using our online form
Your application will be received by the University's Admissions Team before being transferred to individual departments for consideration and processing.
Postgraduate Information Days
Our Postgraduate Information Days for 2017 entry have now finished. If you would like to meet or speak with a member of staff about any courses you are interested in, please email email@example.com and we will arrange this for you.
We will confirm the dates of events related to 2018 entry soon. Visit the link below to get a reminder when booking opens.
Portsmouth Business School open events
Find out about this course, meet lecturers and get advice on funding your studies at our events for postgraduates and part-time undergraduates.
- Wednesday 21 June 2017, 5pm - 7pm
- Tuesday 5 September 2017, 5pm - 7pm
Other opportunities to visit
Download our free walking tour PDF for a self-guided tour of the University. You can visit Monday to Friday between 8.30am and 4pm.
We have an open-door policy so you will be able to take a look in our buildings, speak to some of our support services and get a feel for the campus.
If you are unable to visit us, contact the admissions team – see the 'Key Facts' section above for contact details.
Staff from our international Office regularly attend overseas exhibitions. To find out more about these and our visits to your region see our International Office exhibitions page.
Fees and Funding
Find out more about fees and funding available to you at Portsmouth.