Mobile Media Applications
Explore the technology of mobile platforms
Why take this course?
This course will appeal to those who want to pursue a career within the mobile industry or within other industries where mobile technologies are becoming pervasive.
The mobile industry (phones and tablets) has spread faster than any other industry globally, because mobile phones also offer computing capabilities alongside communication.
What will I experience?
On this course you can:
- Get to grips with the cutting-edge, industry-standard software housed in our computer and multimedia laboratories
- Benefit from online learning – work at your own pace and from any location
- Apply your skills to real-life practical problems as part of the departments partnership scheme with charities, local and global organisations
What opportunities might it lead to?
Key players within the TV, film, media and gaming industries; banking, social networking, government, healthcare, and educational institutions have a mobile presence making the mobile industry one of those with the greatest potential for career growth and entrepreneurship.
Here are some routes our graduates have pursued:
- mobile development
- mobile technology education and training
- web development
- further study
- 1 year full time, 3 years part time
- A minimum of a second-class honours degree in a Computing or Information Technology subject or an art-based subject with a significant information technology component, or equivalent professional experience and/or qualifications. An online portfolio submission may be required as part of the selection process. English language proficiency at a minimum of IELTS band 6.5 with no component score below 6.0.
UK/EU/Channel Islands and Isle of Man students
2016/17 entry: full time: £5,200, part time: £1,730 p/a*
2016/17 entry: full time: £12,700, part time: £4,230 p/a*
*Tuition fee is subject to annual increase.
+44 (0)23 9284 2421
- School of Creative Technologies
- Programme specification
Structure & Teaching
On this course you will study four core units:
- Mobile Application Design and Development: This unit is an introductory unit which will help students gain relevant knowledge and skills in order to design, implement and evaluate native mobile applications.
- Web Asset and Application Development: This unit is an introductory unit which will help students gain relevant knowledge and skills in order to design, implement and evaluate database driven mobile web application.
- Masters Application of Creative Technologies: This is a student driven project focusing on creating either a web based or native mobile phone application.
- Professional, Academic and Research Development: This unit's focus is to develop the critical, empirical and communication skills needed to underpin Master's level study and effectively plan, manage and execute research or creative industry focused projects.
Teaching and Assessment
You will experience a variety of teaching through lectures, seminars, tutorials, laboratory sessions and project work.
How are you assessed?
Assessment is 100% coursework based which will be a combination of individual projects and group projects.
Facilities & Features
You will have easy access to a wide range of powerful and modern multimedia computers equipped with the latest software. Such software will play a major role in this course and you’ll regularly be using packages such as Dreamweaver, Flash, Photoshop, 3D Studio Max, Avid Media Composer, Cool Edit Pro, Adobe After Effects, Protools and Logic. Though these may seem daunting at first – you’ll have day-to-day contact with knowledgeable, enthusiastic and highly motivated staff who will be happy to lend a helping hand.
Specialist Software and Equipment
A full range of industry software will be available for you to use in the computer labs. You’ll have excellent resources at your fingertips including:
- the Virtual Reality Lab
- motion capture facilities
- music studio
- TV studio
- Print and production workshops
Modern, comfortable and a great learning environment, our library offers a wealth of information including 400,000 books, DVDs, maps and thousands of online ejournals and newspapers. Many electronic resources are available anywhere, 24/7 and our friendly staff are always on hand to help.
Budgeting for your studies
There may be extra costs arising from your studies which you will need to consider when planning your expenditure.
Some are common costs to all courses of study. These may include the cost of study texts, reference books, photocopying and computer supplies. Others relate to specific courses and may include field trips, materials and specialist equipment.
Other costs to consider
Sundry materials and CDs, DVDs may be required costing around £50-£100 each year.
If you choose to complete a project not supported by existing University resources, you may wish to purchase additional materials or software. These costs will depend on the nature of the project. Also, if the project involves working with an external client, you may have to pay travel costs for attending occasional development meetings. These may be in the region £50 - £100.
Careers & Opportunities
On completing this course, you will be equipped to seek employment where you can foster your mobile development skills. This course will be a suitable route to roles within the media industry, gaming industry, banking, social networking, government, healthcare, and educational institutions. Our previous graduates have successfully found employment as web developer / designer / programmer for traditional computers as well as mobile phones.
One of the benefits of studying at Portsmouth is the support that we provide to our Master's and Research Degrees students in career planning. Our careers and recruitment service – Purple Door – can assist you in career research and finding employment opportunities. Help is also available if you wish to find a part-time job while studying your degree.
We offer our postgraduate students and alumni one-to-one appointments with a careers adviser, or an online service for those not able to travel back to the University. Our alumni can call on our career services for five years after graduation.
In addition, regular employability events offer you the chance to meet employers, find out about different career sectors and improve your applications or CV. The Graduate Summer Programme provides a range of guidance and employability seminars and workshops.
Benefits of Postgraduate Study
Regardless of whether you are seeking to build on your studies, further your career or pursue a career change, a postgraduate qualification adds to your achievement record.
- Postgraduate study may greatly improve your chances of getting that first break.
- Many graduate employers prefer the higher intellectual rigour displayed in postgraduate students.
- Recruiters for roles requiring specialist knowledge or research particularly target those with higher level qualifications.
- Postgraduate study shows you can take the challenge of in-depth study; acquiring transferable skills in team working and problem solving techniques.
- If you have a passion for a particular subject, postgraduate study can also be something undertaken as part of your own development at an appropriate time in your life.
Online application form
Apply direct using our online form
Your application will be received by the University's Admissions Team before being transferred to individual departments for consideration and processing.
Postgraduate Information Days
Our Postgraduate Information Days for 2016 entry have now finished.
If you would like to visit the campus you can download our free walking tour for a self-guided tour of the University. You can visit Monday - Friday between 8.30am and 4.00pm. We have an open-door policy so you will be able to take a look into our buildings, speak to some of our support services and get a feel for the campus. Find out more information about our self-guided walking tours.
If you are unable to visit us, why not contact the admissions team for your course of interest via our course pages.
If you have any further enquiries about postgraduate study at Portsmouth, including advice on the Postgraduate Loan for 2016 entry plus scholarships and bursaries available visit our postgraduate pages.
Staff from our international Office regularly attend overseas exhibitions. To find out more about these and our visits to your region see our International Office exhibitions page.
Fees and Funding
Find out more about fees and funding available to you at Portsmouth.