We offer a wide variety of CPD (Continuing Professional Development) training and development courses at the University of Portsmouth. These include flexible, on campus, distance learning and work-based courses.
Our short courses have been developed by researchers and industry experts to meet the needs and aspirations of organisations and individuals. We’re continuously developing new programmes as business needs change. Relevant, up-to-date and practical, our courses are suitable for both professional and personal development.
Many of our courses carry academic credits and/or award professional accreditation, which you can use to accelerate your career or study towards further qualifications. You can access these at the University or online at home or at work through distance learning.
We can also work with you to develop bespoke CPD training courses and programmes for your organisation.
Join us at our University 2 Business Conference on 5 June to find out more about our CPD programmes and other ways to collaborate with us.
Our CPD courses
We currently offer courses in the following areas:
- Autistic spectrum conditions: a critical approach – an introductory course to understand the conditions in a variety of contexts.
- Atomic Force Microscopy Beginners Course – an introduction to the Nobel Prize-winning microscopy technique.
- Boardroom skills for business leaders – for current or aspiring leaders to improve strategic boardroom confidence and capability.
- Breast science educational workshops – expand knowledge and understanding of cutting edge research to support bra manufacturers, designers and healthcare professionals.
- Clinical exercise science – courses to support practitioners, or those preparing for employment in Sports and Exercise Science.
- Courtroom skills for witnesses and legal training and services for businesses, employers and individuals – courses to enable you to keep up-to-date and compliant with law and legal skills.
- Dental care – develop knowledge and skills in our specialist Dental Academy training facility.
- European Space Agency Accredited Training – electronic assembly and inspection training for space technicians and engineers.
- Growing learners - training on mindsets for schools and parents – explore tools and techniques to support children’s expectations and attainment.
- Health care – short courses for paramedics, radiographers, student nurse mentors and healthcare practitioners.
- Health and care simulation resources and teaching – access to resources and training using contemporary facilities representative of clinical equipment and healthcare environments.
- Institute for Printed Circuits (IPC) accredited training – Space Applications Electronic Hardware.
- Interviewing of child witnesses and the detection of deception – for those working with children in the legal system.
- Introduction to Drawing – an introduction to the fundamentals of drawing, exploring different media, techniques, styles and subjects.
- Land, property and construction – courses for professionals and practitioners in land, property, construction and the built environment.
- Missing Persons – The Centre for the Study of Missing Persons provides an insight into the needs and challenges faced by people who go missing and their relatives.
- Practice Education in Social Work – develop skills essential for Practice Educators to support learners in the social work practice environment.
- Self-assessment of specialist interviews – for police officers who have undergone Achieving Best Evidence interviewer training and who regularly interview vulnerable victims and witnesses.
- Sport and Exercise Science – fitness and exercise courses for a range of environments and medical conditions.
- Sports Coaching Programme courses – coaching courses, workshops and officiating courses.
- Supervision and Mentoring in Social Work – provides HCPC registered social workers with the necessary skills and knowledge to support students on their first (70 day) practice learning experience (PEPs stage 1).
- Supporting people with autism into employment – specialist training to professionals from employment agencies, local authorities and charitable organisations to enable them to support autistic adults in employment.
- Working with victims of crime: theory, policy and professional practice – gain insight into the difficulties and challenges presented to people who become victims of crime.
We offer many of our courses as individual units, allowing you to choose from a range of titles and, if required, build up credit over time to work towards a University certificate or award.
We currently only offer custom-made training for organisations. If you are an individual, please see the list above for the courses we currently offer.
Bespoke training for organisations
We can develop custom-made solutions for your business and employees, working with you to design programmes around the needs of your organisation.
By investing in CPD with the University of Portsmouth, you and your employees can:
- Learn from inspirational expert speakers
- Keep abreast of emerging techniques and innovation
- Tailor courses to suit your organisation and employee needs
- Gain accreditation in your area of interest or industry
- Maintain your competitive edge
We can also accredit your in-house courses towards a formal academic award.
Make an enquiry to discuss your requirements and find out how we can help you.
Our areas of expertise
We can work with you to develop short courses and programmes in many areas. Our areas of expertise include:
Architecture, construction, engineering and environmental
- Building information management
- Coastal and marine resource management
- European Space Agency
- Historic building conservation
- Occupational health and safety
- Rock mechanics
- Sustainable drainage systems, materials, structures and geotechnics
Business and management
- Accounting and finance
- Business administration
- Executive education
- Leadership and management
- Public administration
- Risk and crisis management
- Sales and marketing
- Advanced Film Production and Editing
- Computer animation and games
- Motion Capture
- Virtual Reality and Augmented Reality
Health, science and biological science
- Health Science
- Sport and Exercise Science
Languages and education
- Education and teacher training
Policing, criminology, law and psychology
- Crime scene investigation
- Cyber security
- Forensic investigation training
- Law and legal training
- Security and risk
- Understanding the mindset of the burglar
Technology and computing
- Big data
- Technology and management
This is not a complete list of the subjects we cover. If the subject area you’re interested in is not listed above, please still get in touch.
What our partners say about us
"I left school at 15, so was slightly nervous at the thought of studying again, but the course has made me realise how much experience I already have. I have been taught so much that I can bring to my job" – Change Management Champion, Hewlett Packard.
"The University went beyond the task outlined in our training needs analysis. They proved excellent at getting to know our methods of operation and understanding the needs of our business" – Learning and Development Manager, Skandia UK Ltd.
"The links established with the University are assisting the company on its journey of continuous improvement and growth" – Managing Director, STS Defence Ltd.
We have further business services to support organisations. These include collaborative research and development, product development and support, and consultancy.
Please visit our Business Services pages to find out how we can help.