Department of Mathematics
Results of the 2014 Research Excellence Framework
The University of Portsmouth submitted to a new Unit of Assessment within the REF 2014, 'Mathematical Sciences', comprising work from two main research clusters: Nonlinear and Complex Systems, and Logistics and Operational Research.
The work spanned the spectrum from theoretical advances in these subjects, through to applications addressing specific challenges in collaboration with academic and industrial partners. Eleven staff were submitted by the University of Portsmouth. The submission included two impact case studies illustrating our impact on healthcare logistics and the management of financial risk.
- 9.8% of our research outputs were rated world-leading (4*) and 61% either world-leading (4*) or internationally excellent (3*)
- 80% of our impact was rated as having very considerable reach and significance (3*)
- Out of 53 institutions across the UK submitting in this Unit we were ranked 24th for impact at world-leading (4*) and internationally excellent (3*) level, and ranked joint 1st among post-1992 universities
- 62% of our submission overall was rated as world-leading or internationally excellent
- Among post-1992 universities, we were ranked 2nd for overall performance