Department of Mathematics
Dr Sergi Simon
- Qualifications: BSc, MSc, PhD
- Role Title: Senior Lecturer
- Address: Lion Gate Building, Lion Terrace, Portsmouth, Hampshire PO1 3HF UK
- Telephone: +44 (0) 23 9284 6375
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Department: Department of Mathematics
- Faculty: Faculty of Technology
I am a Senior Lecturer at the University of Portsmouth, UK. I completed my BSc, MSc and PhD at the University of Barcelona, Spain, as well as post-doctoral research in the University de Limoges (France); my teaching and research hitherto were undertaken during non-tenured academic positions in the University of Barcelona for six years.
- M313: Abstract Algebra, year-long unit*
- ENG410: Mathematical Principles, year-long unit
My main research interests are based on chaos and non-integrability in non-linear dynamical systems, more specifically the algebraic study of integrability in Hamiltonian systems, with special emphasis on models derived from applied mathematics and physics - notably N-Body Problems and other systems arising from Celestial Mechanics, and in general Hamiltonians with a homogeneous potential.
Aside from these and other interests currently addressed, recent work also tackles the algebraic structure of higher-order variational equations and the symbolic and numerical computation of Galois (e.g., monodromy and Stokes) matrices for these systems, as well as the true dynamical significance of their projective limit. All of this is done in preparation for joint work with other colleagues to build a constructive link between Algebra and Dynamics which would entail, eventually, an unified Galoisian approach to Dynamical Systems.