Department of Mathematics
Mr Bernard Higgins
- Qualifications: BSc
- Role Title: Senior Lecturer
- Address: Lion Gate Building, Lion Terrace, Portsmouth, Hampshire (UK) PO1 3HF
- Telephone: +44 (0)23 9284 6360
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Department: Department of Mathematics
- Faculty: Faculty of Technology
I joined the Department of Mathematics in 1979 as a Lecturer in Statistics. I have a particular interest in Medical Statistics and in recent years I have been seconded to the Research Design Service (South Central) within the School of Health Sciences & Social Work, working at Queen Alexandra Hospital providing statistical support to health researchers. I have now returned to working full time in the Department of Mathematics in the role of Senior Lecturer. I also act as the Admissions Tutor for the Department of Mathematics.
- Statistics for Manufacturing, Business and Management (M341)
- Statistics for Health & Social Science Research (M342)
- Statistical Theory and Methods within the department of Mathematics (M241)
- I also teach statistical methods to year one Pharmacy and Biomedical Students (as part of a Laboratory Skills course) and to year two Pharmacology students (as part of a Data Analysis course)
I have a particular interest in applications of statistics to health research and am currently involved in collaborative work with academic staff from the School of Health Sciences and Social Work and staff from the Queen Alexandra Hospital, investigating the effectiveness of treatment for endometriosis and also research into the diagnostic performance of imaging techniques.