Department of Psychology
Dr Ryan Fitzgerald
- Qualifications: PhD
- Role Title: Associate Head for Research
- Address: King Henry Building, King Henry 1st Street, Portsmouth, Hampshire, PO1 2DY
- Telephone: 023 9284 6331
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Department: Psychology
- Faculty: Science
I am a member of the International Centre for Research in Forensic Psychology (ICRFP). Most of my research concentrates on improving eyewitness identification accuracy and understanding the decision processes of eyewitnesses. I am also interested in international variation in eyewitness identification policy. I completed my PhD studies in Canada, where eyewitness identification procedures differ substantially from those in England. For example, English policy recommends administering lineups using video technology, but in Canada photo lineups are the norm. I am currently developing a line of research to examine whether these types of policy differences have an effect on eyewitness identification outcomes.
I am unit coordinator for Forensic Psychology in Context. I also provide miscellaneous lectures for the following units: Psychology of Investigations; Investigative Psychology and the Legal Process; Introduction to Forensic Psychology; Contemporary Issues in Psychology.
- Lineup construction and composition
- Age differences in eyewitness identification
- Lineup procedures
- Distinctiveness of faces
- Identification confidence and decision speed