Department of Sport and Exercise Science
Dr Matt Wilkes
- Qualifications: MSc MCEM FRCA FAWM FRGS
- Role Title: PhD Researcher
- Address: Extreme Environment Laboratory, Spinnaker Building, Cambridge Road, Portsmouth, Hampshire, PO1 2ER
- Telephone: 023 9284 5163
- Email: UP850038@port.ac.uk
- Department: Department of Sport and Exercise Science
- Faculty: Faculty of Science
I qualified in medicine from the University of Edinburgh in 2007 and since then I have worked predominantly in Anaesthesia, Critical Care and Remote Medicine.
My professional interests lie in remote medicine and extreme physiology. I completed the Master of Clinical Sciences (Mountain Medicine) in 2016, investigating cerebral altitude illness in the Bolivian Andes. I have been the Lead Doctor and/or Medical Advisor to several large international expeditions, practiced anaesthesia in New Zealand and Nepal, and flown all over East Africa with the AMREF Flying Doctor Service. I spent the 2017 post-monsoon season as a volunteer physician at the IPPG(UK) high altitude clinics at Machermo and Gokyo in the Khumbu region of Nepal.
I am the founding director of Adventure Medic, an online wilderness, humanitarian and travel medicine magazine (www.theadventuremedic.com).
The Free Flight Physiology Project: investigating the effects of the environment on the safety and performance of paraglider pilots.