The School of Engineering
Our Research in Intelligent and Networked Systems
Research in terrestrial and fixed earth-space communications is one of the longest established activities within the University. The main focus of this activity has been in radio spectrum management and optimisation, and the understanding the underlying physics of electromagnetic wave propagation. Research in control and robotics concentrates on mobile robotics and the application of artificial intelligence to provide advanced solutions to practical problems.
The research and knowledge transfer includes the following areas:
- Engineering Education
- Intelligent & Autonomous Systems
- Systems Engineering
- Telecommunication & Networked Systems
We have a range of research facilities in the following laboratories:
- Analogue Electronics and Control Engineering Laboratory
- Computer and Network Laboratories
- Digital Electronics and Microprocessor Laboratory
- Telecommunications Laboratory
Excellent RAE 2008 Results
In the last RAE 2008, 25 per cent of the research in the areas of Computer Science and Informatics (UOA23) was rated as internationally excellent, and 65 per cent was internationally recognised.