UP for Maths - Work with Schools
The Department of Mathematics, in cooperation with the university's Education Liaison and Outreach team, is involved in initiating and maintaining links with schools in the Hampshire area at both primary and secondary level. Under the UP for Maths banner the university has worked with thousands of local pupils in a variety of formats including Maths and Art festivals, Masterclasses, Performing arts collaborations, revision days as well as teachers through specialised inset day sessions.
- To offer students advice and encouragement in their current studies and inspire them in continuing with University level degrees in Mathematics.
- To offer Primary and High School teachers guidance and a contact point for assistance and mutual exchange of information with respect to current state of affairs in Maths Education.
- Fun Maths contains puzzles and other activities designed to engage school pupils and help them to discover more about mathematics while improving their skills.
- Maths Taster Days - Working with current undergraduate students, pupils will engage in interactive Maths activities aimed at raising aspirations.
- Ambassadors - Along with the UAS scheme detailed below, maths students are available to help during events within school to help raise the aspirations and achievements within maths.
For more information on any of this work, please contact the Education Liaison department using the details below.
The Undergraduate Ambassadors Scheme (UAS) provides the framework for a degree course module awarding academic credit to science, technology, engineering and maths undergraduates working with teachers in local schools.
The purpose of the University of Portsmouths Education Liaison and Outreach team is to act as a link between schools and colleges and the university. For more information on the work of the team and what they have to offer, please go to their webpages or email firstname.lastname@example.org
UP for It is the University of Portsmouth's membership scheme for 11-16 year olds. Members receive a free magazine 3 times a year, opportunities to take part in free workshops during school holidays, a discount card to use in and around Portsmouth and a dedicated website. The aim of the club is to raise aspirations of 11-16 year olds in a fun and informative manner, helping them to decide what to do once they have finished school.For more information please go to www.upforitclub.org.uk