Dr Alexei Nesteruk
Lion Gate Building, Lion Terrace, Portsmouth, Hampshire, PO1 3HF
Alexei is a lecturer in Mathematics, with writing and research interests in the Philosophy of Science, and Science and Theology. In addition to being Senior Lecturer in the Department of Mathematics at the University of Portsmouth, he is also a Visiting Professor of St. Andrew’s Biblical Theological College (Moscow).
Vision: The study of the genesis of the universe through cosmological theory and the study of the genesis of human subjectivity in philosophy and theology are both one and the same problem or, more precisely, one and the same mystery linked to the radical metaphysical fact of humanity's being in the world.
- Towards Neo-Partristic Synthesis of Science and Theology (supported by the John Templeton Foundation)
- Phenomenology of Cosmology
Recent invited talks and conferences
- Conference: Philosophy, Science, Beliefs, Finality (17th Annual Conference of the International Association of Cosmos and Philosophy), Athens, 27-30 September, 2007. (Invited talk.)
- Conference: Science and Religion Interaction in the 21st Century, Athens, September 20-22, 2007. (Invited talk.)
- Conference: Human Person in the 21st Century, Thessaloniki, April 20-22, 2007. (Invited talk.)
- Conference: Ultimate Purposes of Theological and Scientific Understandings, Moscow, 8-12 November, 2006. (Invited talk.)
- Conference: Sustaining Diversity. 11th European Conference on Science and Theology, Iasi, Romania, 5-10 April 2006. (Invited talk.)
- Conference: Science and Orthodoxy. A Necessary Dialogue. Bucharest and Constantza (Tomis), Romania, 22-26 October 2005 (invited talk)
- Summer Institute on Theology and Science, Moscow, Russia, 28 August – 3 September 2005 (lecture course “Orthodoxy and Science”)
- Conference: Interpreting Nature and Scripture: History of a Dialogue. Redeemer College, Ancaster, Canada, 18-23 July 2005 (invited talk)
- Symposium: Spiritual Information: Knowing the Unknowable about God and the Universe. Trinity College, Cambridge University, 7-9 April 2005 (invited talk)
- Forthcoming: The Universe as Communion: Towards a Neo-Patristic Synthesis of Theology and Science, T&T Clarke, 2008.
- Light from the East: Theology, Science, and the Eastern Orthodox Tradition, Fortress Press, 2003.
Recent articles and conference papers
- Towards of Neo-Patristic Synthesis of Theology and Science: Orthodoxy and the Reintegration of the Human Spirit, in Science and Orthodoxy; a Necessary Dialogue. Editors: B Nicolescu, M Stavinschi. Curtea Veche, Bucharest, 2006, pp125-134.
- The Dialogue Between Theology and Science in the 21st Century: Towards a New Synthesis. European Journal of Science and Theology, vol. 2, no. 1, March 2006, pp1-8.
- Wisdom through Communion and Personhood: From Patristic Theology to Contemporary Science. In: Wisdom or Knowledge? Eds.: H. Meisinger, W. D. Drees & Z. Liana. T&T Clark (Continuum) NY, 2006, pp73-90.
- The Universe Transcended. God’s ‘Presence in Absence’ in Science and Theology. (ISSN: 18410464) European Journal of Science and Theology, vol. 1, no. 2, June 2005, pp. 7-19.
- «Святоотеческое богословие и естественные науки: исторические вехи», Страницы, 10:1, 2005, стр. 99-131. ISSN: 15621421
- Human Transcendental Subjectivity: The Central Theme in the Dialogue Between Science and Christian Theology. SOUROZH: A Journal of Orthodox Life and Thought, (ISSN: 09502742) Part 1, August 2004, N 97, pp. 1-15; Part 2, November 2004, N 98, pp. 34-48. Russian version: «Диалог между богословием и наукой в свете экзистенциальной феноменологии», Страницы, 10:2, 2005, стр. 239-265. ISSN: 15621421.
- The Universe as Hypostatic Inherence in the Logos of God. (Panentheism in the Eastern Orthodox Perspective.) In: In Whom We Live and Move and Have Our Being: Reflections on Panentheism in a Scientific Age. William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company, 2004.
- Human Image: World Image (Patristic insight into cosmological anthropology.) Studies in Science and Theology, vol. 9, 2004.
- Towards a New Synthesis of Theology and Science. In Science, Philosophy, Religion: in Search for a “Common Denominator” (ISBN: 5201021506) , Moscow: Institute of Philosophy, 2003, pp. 172-199 (in Russian).
- Humanity in the Universe: A Patristic Insight into Modern Cosmology. SOUROZH: A Journal of Orthodox Life and Thought, (ISSN: 09502742) May 2002, N 88, pp. 1-20.
- Design in the Universe and the Logos of Creation (Patristic Synthesis and Modern Cosmology). Design and Disorder. (Ed. Niels Gregersen and Ulf Gorman) Continuum International Publishing Group, 2002, pp. 171-202.
- Patristic Theology and the Natural Sciences: SOUROZH: A Journal of Orthodox Life and Thought, Part 1: May 2001, N 84, pp. 14-35; Part 2: August 2001, N 85, pp. 22-38.
- Theology of Human Co-Creation and Modern Physics. Mémoire du XXIe Siécle, numéro 3-4. Cahiers transdisciplinaires. Création et transcréation. Paris: Editions du Rocher, 2001, pp. 163 - 175.