Employability Day brings together employers, graduates, careers advisers, recruiters, and students
Thu, 08 Dec 2011 09:00:00 GMT
On Thursday 8th December, 2011, the Department of Mathematics ran one of its regular Employability Days, in which our undergraduate students have an opportunity to meet face-to-face with employers, recruitment agents, careers advisers, and graduates who are in successful careers.
The students gained valuable insight from a broad range of talks and workshop sessions, including:
- Financial Roles for Graduates - from a mathematics graduate working for Amazon
- Career confidence, making a good impression - from a professional actress
- Postgraduate Study - from research students in mathematics
- Successful Job Hunting - from recruitment consultants
- Interview Essentials - from an academic skills adviser
- Careers in the pharmaceutical industry - from a senior mathematician working in the industry
- Answering Competency-Based Questions - from careers advisers
- Careers in Statistics - from a mathematician at the Office of National Statistics
- Preparing for Assessment Centres - from a graduate recruiter
- Student Placements - talks from a number of students who have completed industrial placements during their studies or who are currently on placements
- Alumni talks - by recent graduates from the Mathematics department who are now working in industry, covering their experiences and including things that they wish they had known before graduating
15 Alumni and placement students attended to give talks on their experiences.
Students were given the opportunity to meet with all of the speakers in an informal atmosphere in order to ask additional questions.
Fri, Jun 7, 2013