The Department of Psychology offers a range of support activities for businesses and other organisations. These include consultancy, research, short courses and other knowledge transfer activities.
By providing access to our psychological expertise, knowledge and facilities, we aim to facilitate workforce and business development and provide guidance on psychological issues in a range of contexts. We can also draw upon a wide knowledge base of academic and industrial contacts that could help you meet your business or service objectives.
The Applied Psychology Unit
The Applied Psychology Unit was established in the Department of Psychology in 1989. The APU aims to help businesses, charities and public organisations achieve their potential through provision of expert applied psychology services delivered by experienced practitioners. The Unit acts as focus for a wide range activities reflecting the breadth of expertise and specialisation within the Department. For example, these include:
- Staff surveys to assess Stress or Quality of Working Life developed through our work with local organisations.
- Consultancy on stress at work and the ability to provide detailed Fitness for Work assessments.
- Expert Reports for the Civil and Criminal Courts, from our group of highly experienced Clinical and Forensic Psychologists.
- Expertise in all areas of Forensic Psychology research and practice through our International Centre for Research into Forensic Psychology.
- Our expert staff are able to advise on issues relating to intellectual disability.
- Design and analysis advice for all your evaluation needs including surveys and experiments, with qualitative and quantitative analyses.
- Members of our Human Factors research team specialise in the perceptual aspects of computer and similar information displays as well as general ergonomics and usability. The team have experience with managing major industrial and academic research projects.
- We have a large Psychometric test library and Level A qualified staff who can conduct and teach most psychometric tests.
The Department of Psychology at the University of Portsmouth consists of approximately 30 full-time academic staff and 20 full-time postgraduate research staff. Many staff members are qualified in specialist areas of Psychology, including clinical, forensic, psychometric and ergonomic psychology. The department houses specialist labs for conducting interviews and investigating perceptual, physiological and human factors research. Our state of the art video edit suites are often used with observational studies. Our large scale A3 scanner can process and score over 100 questionnaires a minute. Three full time technicians run the labs and oversee the large library of psychometric tests.
Some of our previous business clients have included: BNFL, Centrex, Hampshire County Council, The Home Office, Network Rail, OKI, Queen Alexandra Hospital, Royal West Sussex NHS Trust St Richard’s Hospital, Sussex Weald and Downs NHS Trust, TUC, UNITE (Amicus).
What can we do for your organisation?
Please contact our friendly staff to arrange an initial consultation to discuss your needs and advise on possible solutions.
Telephone: +44 (0)23 9284 6313
Fax: +44 (0)23 9284 6300