Dr. Alessandra Fasulo
Senior Lecturer, Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
I graduated from the University Sapienza of Rome and I continued my postgraduate studies there. In 1992, I was a visiting student at UCLA, USA, where I received a training in Conversation Analysis and Applied Linguistics. In 1994, I received my PhD degree in Social Psychology. Between 1999 and 2008, I was a member of the Department of Psychology of Development and Socialization. My teaching experience includes Social Psychology, Psycholinguistics, Conversation Analysis and Cultural Psychology.
Beginning my PhD research on autobiographical narratives in psychotherapy, I have focused on social psychological processes as visible and constructed through language. I have been studying for many years interaction in families with children, focusing on socialization practices, agency and inter-subjectivity. Intercultural comparisons of family life were carried out together with the other international units in the CELF international project (Cf. also the Italian unit website). I have participated in ESF Language and Social Action project of affiliation and disaffiliation language practices in different European languages. Narrative has been a constant interest, approached from a variety of perspectives, ranging from textual analysis of autobiographical literature to interactional analysis of spoken narratives in diverse natural contexts. Recently, I have been involved in research on the memory and perception of space, and on embodied action. I am also concerned with methodological issues, notably with developing ethnographic methods and conversation analysis for psychological research.
I am a member of the Centre for Situated Action & Communication.
I coordinate the Year 1 unit "Applications of Psychology" and I am also lecturing in Qualitative Methods and Conversation Analysis to MSc Forensic Psychology and MSc PSychological Research Methods.
Publications before 2000
- Fasulo A. (1999). Life Narratives and the Construction of Normality. In W. Maiers, B. Bayer, B. Duarte Esgalhado, R. Jorna & E. Schraube (Eds.), Challenges to Theoretical Psychology. Captus Press, pp. 235-244.
- Pontecorvo, C. & Fasulo A. (1999). Planning a Typical Italian Meal: A Family Reflection on Culture. Culture & Psychology, 5, 3, 313?335.
- Fasulo A., Girardet, H., & Pontecorvo C. (1999). Representing a different culture. Exercises on point of view. Language and Education, 13, 4, 233-253.
- Fatigante M., Fasulo A., & Pontecorvo C. (1998). Life with the Alien: Role Casting and Face-Saving Techniques in Family Conversation with Young Children. Issues in Applied Linguistics, 9, 2, 97?121.
- Fasulo A., Girardet H., & Pontecorvo C. (1998). Historical practices in school through photographical reconstruction. Mind, Culture and Activity, 5, 253-271.
- Fasulo, A. (1997). Other Voices, Other Minds. The Use of Reported Speech in Group Therapy Talk. In L. Resnick, R. Säljö, C. Pontecorvo, & B. Burge (Eds.), Discourse, tools and reasoning: Essays on situated cognition. NATO Series, Berlin: Springer Verlag, pp. 203-223. (pdf)
- Pontecorvo, C., & Fasulo, A. (1997). Learning to argue in family shared discourse. The reconstruction of past events. In L. Resnick, R. Säljö, C. Pontecorvo, B. Burge (Eds.), Discourse, tools and reasoning: Essays on situated cognition. NATO Series, Berlin: Springer Verlag.
- Bonaiuto M., & Fasulo A. (1997). Rhetorical intentionality attribution: Its ontogenesis in ordinary conversation. British Journal of Social Psychology, 36, 511-536.
- Ochs, E. Pontecorvo, & C. Fasulo, A. (1996). Socializing taste. Ethnos, 61, 1/2, 7-46. (pdf)
- Fasulo, A. (1994). Hablando el habla de otros. El discurso referido en psicoterapia. Substratum, 2, (5), 69-90.
- Fasulo A., & Pontecorvo C. (1999). Come si dice? Linguaggio e apprendimento in famiglia e a scuola. [Language and learning in family and school] Roma: CaroccI
- Fasulo A. (1999). Aspetti poetici e strategie discorsive nella costruzione familiare della differenza di genere. [Poetic devices and discursive strategies inthe family construction of gender differences] In M. Del Sapio Garbero (ed.), Trame parentali, trame letterarie. Napoli: Liguori, pp. 167-183.
- Fasulo A. (1999). L'acquisizione della competenza conversazionale. [The acquisition of conversational competence] In R. Galatolo e G. Pallotti (eds.), La conversazione. Un'introduzione allo studio dell'interazione verbale. Milano: Cortina, pp. 287-317.
- Fasulo A. (1998). La ricerca etnografica. [Ethnographic research] In L. Mannetti (ed.), Strategie di ricerca in psicologia sociale. Roma: Carocci, pp.183-225.