Earth and Environmental Sciences (SEES)
Dr Dean Bullen
School of Earth & Environmental Sciences
University of Portsmouth
I am a senior lecturer in igneous petrology, mineralogy and geochemistry. My main research interests are volcanoes and the link between magmatism and plate tectonics; of particular interest are the geodynamics of subduction zones. Others include magma crystallisation, mineral and ore formation, meteorites and the early evolution of the Earth.
I am unit co-ordinator for:
- Level 4: Earth Materials (Introductory mineralogy, igneous, metamorphic and sedimentary petrology)
- Level 6 Igneous Petrogenesis
- Leader of the Level 6 Geoscience Study Tour to Cyprus
I also contribute to:
- Level 5: Petrology
- Level 5: Volcanology
- Level 5: geological mapping component of Structural Geology
- Level 7: Volcanology
Field work at all levels from level 4 day trips to the Isle of Wight and Dorset Coast to two-week residential courses in North Wales and Cyprus. I have also contributed to the geological hazard courses in Southern Italy and Sicily (levels 5 and 7)
Supervisor for final year mapping projects in Snowdonia and the Lake District
- 2006 to present: senior lecturer, University of Portsmouth
- 2001 – 2005: PhD research, University of Portsmouth
- 1998 – 2001: Undergraduate degree, BSc (Hons) Geology, University of Portsmouth
- Pre-1998: experience of working in the agricultural and construction industries
- Fellow of the Geological Society of London
- Fellow of the Mineralogical Society
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
Current research projects:
- Using whole rock and mineral geochemistry to determine the depths to magma chambers beneath the island of Tenerife, with Carmen Solana-Jennings.
- Investigating the petrogenesis of Caledonian granitoids in Shetland, with Mike Fowler.
- Investigating the use of remote sensing in the detection of the toxic zeolite mineral erionite in volcanic rocks with Derek Rust, Andy Gibson, Mike Fowler SEES), Umran Dogan (Dept of Geological Engineering, Ankara University, Turkey), Meral Dogan (Dept of Engineering Geology, Hacettepe University, Turkey) and Alessandro Tibaldi (Universita degli Studi di Milano-Biocca, Italy).