School of Languages and Area Studies (SLAS)
Past Conference Proceedings
8th Portsmouth Translation Conference 2008
The Changing Face of Translation
Held at the University of Portsmouth on 8 November 2008
* Please note that the files on this page are in .pdf format and will require adobe acrobat reader to view the files.
- Pilar Ordóñez- López (Universitat Jaume I Castellón de la Plana, Spain) - The Translator: a Time-traveller
- Juan José Martínez-Sierra (University of Murcia ,Spain) - Translating Cultures: The Translator as an Intercultural Mediator
- Ilaria Parini (University of Milan) - The Changing Face of Audiovisual Translation in Italy
- Jonathan Burton (The Royal Opera House, London) - The Joy of Opera: The Art and Craft of Opera Subtitling and Surtitling
- Sai-cheong Siu (Department of Translation, The Chinese University of Hong Kong) - Buddhist Scripture Translation in the New Millennium
- Ewa Rossing (Directorate General for Translation, European Commission) - EU Translation in the Age of the Web
- Emma Wagner (Fellow of the Institute of Translation and Interpreting) - The Changing Face of Translation
- Dr Kevin Lin (Middlesex University, UK) - Challenges to Translation from Interpreting
- Judith S. Farwick (Dolmetsch-Service Farwick, Cologne, Germany) - New Technologies and Conference Interpretation
- Sarah Griffin-Mason (www.griffin-mason.co.uk) - Diversify, Specialise and Survive: Ways to Compete in a challenging Market
- Claire Tsai (Centre for Translation and Comparative Cultural Studies, University of Warwick) - Compiling, Rewriting and Recycling: The Changing Face of Translation in the TV Newsroom
- Rita Geens (University College Ghent) - Live Subtitling through Respeaking: a new Discipline in Interpretation?
- Federica Scarpa, Maria Teresa Musacchio, Giuseppe Palumbo (University of Trieste, University of Padova, University of Modena e Reggio Emilia) - Not Just an Extension: Reinstating the Applied Branch within Translation Studies
- Sonia Vandepitte (University College Ghent, Ghent University) - Entrepreneurial Competences in Translation Training
- Catherine Way (Universidad de Granada, Spain. AVANTI Research Group) - Bringing Professional Practices into Translation Classrooms
- Francisco J. Vigier, Catherine Way (AVANTI Research Group, University of Granada)- Comparing European Qualifications in the Realm of Official Translating And Interpreting
- Jonathan Evans (University of Portsmouth, UK) - Cover Songs: Metaphor or Object of Study?
- Stella Sorby (University of Portsmouth) - Translating Western Musicals into Chinese: Language and Cultural adaptations
- Marco A. Fiola (Ryerson University) - Translation Memories and Translators’ Memory: What to make of Translator Subjectivity?
Talking with the translators video series:
Talking with the Translators is a series of interviews with professional translators, including two of this year's conference speakers, Emma Wagner and Sarah Griffin-Mason. The subjects range from freelance translation and translation project coordination to the support provided by the professional bodies. Please click here to visit the webpage.