School of Languages and Area Studies (SLAS)
Learning Resource Centre
The Learning Resource Centre provides a variety of open access resources for students of the School of Languages and Area Studies to augment and enhance their learning outside the classroom setting. The Centre has undergone a major re-development to introduce new facilities and technologies to add to and enhance the more traditional services available. The Centre is pleased to offer its services to all students from the Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences.
Facilities available include:
- Networked PCs with printing facilities.
- Wireless Laptop working area.
- A4 Photocopiers and scanning facilities.
- Live satellite broadcasts in 8 languages as well as English. These are linked to a number of monitors in a viewing area as well as to video recorders in an operations room to enable off-air recording.
- DVD and video cassette viewing stations.
- Audio CD and cassette listening stations.
- Extensive foreign film and documentary archive on DVD and Video Cassette.
- A collection of audio CDs and cassettes for private study or teaching purposes.
- A large collection of books, including graded course material for teachers, self-access texts for students and reference resources such as dictionaries and grammar books and magazines.
The resources centre now incorporates a multi-media workshop where students are able to create rich presentation and assignment materials. A variety of software and audio–visual tools are available including PowerPoint, Adobe Premiere Pro for video editing and software for creating audio recordings and Podcasts etc.
Support and guidance is available from the technical support staff.
Note: you will need an active library registration and password. This can be set/checked with the LRC staff.