Sport and Exercise Science
The Department of Sport and Exercise Science is committed to guiding you in your choice of career and helping you become employable. We aim to:
- Ensure that employability is embedded within all programmes
- Engage with potential employers to ensure that the skills developed by students during their studies meet employment requirements
- Organise Departmental Careers Fairs and provide information to students on additional Careers Fairs held elsewhere within the University and local area
- Identify and develop associations with potential employers for student placements and work-based learning opportunities
- Ensure that students engage in their Personal Development Planning throughout their course related studies and tutorial support
We also offer graduate internship programmes, meetings with careers advisors, applications and interview training, and information on latest careers news and events. Further information on such services can be seen at the University’s Set Up for Life web link
Departmental Career Development Award
The Department of Sport and Exercise Science runs an annual career developmental award scheme aimed at providing financial support to successful applicants who can clearly demonstrate how the award will enhance their career development and future employment prospects. The application process itself focuses on key employability skills including writing a personal statement and interview practice. In 2013, twenty two applications were received, seven applicants were shortlisted for the interview stage and five successfully receive awards.
Congratulations to the successful 2013 applicants: Sebastian Ackermann-Clark (BSc Sport and Exercise Science, year 3) who won £500 towards a Level 3 certificate in Personal Training; Andy Powell, (MSc Sports Performance) who won a £250 contribution towards travel expenses for a sports science internship with AFC Bournemouth; Georgia Hearn (BSc Sport and Exercise Science, year 2) who won £250 towards a Level 3 Sports Massage course; Robyn Bramley (BSc Sport and Exercise Science, year 3) who won £200 towards an Introductory Sports Massage practical event; and Helen Gibbings (BSc Sport and Exercise Science, year 3) who won £150 towards a Level 2 Gym Instructor course. We wish them every success in their endeavours. The next round of CDA applications will be open from October 2013. All current (at the time of applying) undergraduate and taught postgraduate DSES students will be eligible to apply.
Read more about the award winners experiences from 2012.
Some former student graduates from each of our courses have agreed to provide an overview of the job they are currently doing and how they felt the degree and general experience at University of Portsmouth helped guide them into their chosen career: