Faculty of Technology
University Open Days are designed to give you an insight into life at the University of Portsmouth before you apply.
Department Open Days are designed for applicants who received an offer of a place on one of our courses to enable them to make an informed decision about courses at Portsmouth. If you receive an offer from us you will be sent further details about how to book a place on one of our Department Open Days.
Visit Days are a more informal way of coming to look around the University at your leisure. Departments such as Finance, Halls of Residence and the Library also have drop in sessions available. You do not need to book a place on a Visit Day. For more information on Drop in Days click here. Find out more...
Even if you have already attended one of our University Open Days, attending a Departmental Open Day is an important experience that can help you make your final decision.
Frequently Asked Questions about Open Days
- Do I have to book a place on a Department Open Day?
- What time does it start? What time does it finish? Do I have to stay for the whole day?
- How can I find you from my Sat Nav?
- How far are you from the Bus/Train Station?
- Will refreshments be provided?
- Can I bring anyone with me?
- Will I be able to see the halls of residence?
- Will there be advice about fees/finance/funding?
- Will I be able to talk somebody about facilities for disabled students?
- Will I be able to talk to current students on the Open Day?
- Will there be advice about my course choices?
- What else is there to do?
- I'm interested in postgraduate courses; will there be someone there for me to talk to?
Yes. You will receive further details about how to book a place on one of our Department Open Days if you receive an offer from us.
The programme of events varies for each department and is slightly different on the Saturdays. You will be sent further details about the programme for your department when you book your place.
The following sessions are entirely optional and give those of you who've not already come for a look around the chance to see a bit more of the University, including:
- Coach tours of the city
- Walking tours of the campus led by current students
- Self-guided tours of the University Library
- Tours of some of our Halls of Residence
- Talks covering the main issues regarding student accommodation and finance
All applicants, regardless of whether or not they come to the optional session, should come along to visit the department, meet lecturers and current students, and get a real taste of what life is like studying your course at the University of Portsmouth.
If you are using a Sat Nav (or GPS), please use the following postcodes for directions:
- Buckingham Building - PO1 3HE
- Portland Building - PO1 3AH
- Student Centre - PO1 2EF
- Parking at Gunwharf Quays - PO1 3TZ
- Parking at Historic Dockyard - PO1 3LJ
Further information about getting to Portsmouth, travelling within the city and the location of University buildings can be found here.
Yes, refreshments will be provided at certain times during the day.
Unfortunately, we can only allow one additional visitor per applicant. If one of your friends has also applied for a place and would like to attend a Department Open Day, they will need to book separately.
Yes, tours of selected Halls of Residence will be available during the optional sessions. You can also take Virtual Tours of all of the University's Halls here.
Yes, a representative from the Student Finance Centre will be giving talks at set times throughout the optional sessions.
Please contact us in advance and we will try to arrange for a representative from the Additional Support and Disability Advice Centre (ASDAC) to come and speak to you. You should also let us know if you will require any additional support on the day of your visit.
Yes, student guides will be available through out the day to give advice and the student view of life at University of Portsmouth.
Yes, our academic staff will be able to discuss subject choices and will give suitable advice about your course.
Within Portsmouth there are plenty of other areas that may be of interest, including the shopping areas of Commercial Road, Gunwharf Quays, Southsea Common and the Seafront. For information on these and many other attractions please visit Portsmouth's Official Visitor Website.
Unfortunately, these Department Open Days are only suitable for Undergraduate applicants. However, we do hold Postgraduate Information Days throughout the year.