Collaborative Research Degree Approval Process
The process to be followed for all new collaborative research degrees
for advice and documentation for Collaborative Programmes Link to Collaborative Programmes page
The purpose of Stage 1 approval is to give strategic consideration to new collaborative research degrees and to assess Faculty commitment to resource the arrangement, financial viability, business/reputation risk and general acceptability of the partner.
- Collaborative Research Degree Approval Form 10 (Request for Stage 1 Approval) Download Word document
- Partner Profile Download Acrobat PDF
- Business Plan Link to Finance page
- Risk Assessment Form Download Word Document
The purpose of Stage 2 approval is to consider the proposed collaborative programme structure, ensure consistency with University regulations and policies and to agree the requirements for Stage 3 approval events. Stage 2 approval will not consider any changes in the information given at Stage 1 (e.g. change of title, change of mode, change of intake date etc). These must be submitted using the Request to Change/Withdraw a Proposed Collaborative Research Degree (Form 95) - see below.
- Collaborative Research Degree Approval Form 20 (Submission for Stage 2 Approval) Download Word document
- Programme Specification Template Download Word document
- Course Structure Form Download Word document
- Programme Specification - Guidance Notes Download Acrobat PDF
- Course Structure - Guidance Notes Download Acrobat PDF
- Key Policies and Documents Link to DCQE page
- Assessment and Regulations Link to Academic Registry page
The purpose of Stage 3 approval is to consider the Partner Institution in terms of their experience, quality assurance and control procedures, ability to meet University of Portsmouth regulations, administrative capacity, arrangements for academic guidance and learning support, arrangements for staff appointment, induction and development and, if an international partner, their understanding of UK higher education practices and their capacity to address appropriately any differences from their own higher education practices and their capacity to provide language support where necessary. The purpose of the Approval Committee Report is to provide a formal record of the approval process that allows Quality Assurance Committee to verify that the approval process has been followed in accordance with published University procedures.
- Collaborative Research Degree Approval Form 30 (Approval Committee Document Checklist) Download Word document
- Collaborative Research Degree Approval Form 31 (Approval Committee Membership) Download Word document
- Collaborative Research Degree Approval Form 32 (Approval Committee Report) Download Word document
- Collaborative Research Degree Approval Form 33 (Partner Visit Report) Download Word document
- Appointment of an External Assessor Form Download Word document
- Appointment of External Assessors - Guidance Notes Download Acrobat PDF
- Student/Course Handbook Download Acrobat PDF
- Guidance Notes for Committee Members Download Acrobat PDF
- Approval Process Evaluation Form for Committee Members Download Word document
- Approval Process Evaluation Form for Course/Supervisory Team Members Download Word document
The purpose of Stage 4 is to confirm the completion of the approval process (including the contractual agreement and fee schedule) and that the collaborative research degree documentation is of an appropriate standard necessary to the operation of the collaborative research degree and to the quality assurance processes of the University.
Collaborative Research Degree Approval Form 40 (Completion of Approval Process) Download Word document
Changes and Withdrawals
The purpose of changes to and withdrawals of proposed collaborative research degrees is to provide detailed information about the request, to assist in determining whether the request should be approved, to ensure that appropriate measures are in place for those who may be affected by the request and to allow an audit trail to be maintained.
Collaborative Research Degree Approval Form 95 (Request to Change/Withdraw a Proposed Collaborative Research Degree) Download Word document