A guide to ordering for vegetarians
The Catering Services Department is mindful of the choices that people make when it comes to food. Therefore we will always ensure that our vegetarian food is delivered and presented in a way that respects the customer's choice.
The enclosed is a guide and advice to customers who are ordering Hospitality to which may be attending.
There are currently about four million vegetarians in the UK, representing some 7 per cent of the population. Amongst younger people, that figures rises to 12 per cent. It is estimated that a remarkable 41 per cent of people in the UK are including far less meat in their diet.
In the UK alone, approximately five thousand people each week are choosing to give meat a miss and join the veggie revolution. If such trends were to continue, it is estimated that by the year 2030 everyone in the UK will be a vegetarian!
- Vegetarianism is the practice of the following, a plant-based diet including fruits, vegetables, cereal grains, nuts, and seeds, with or without dairy products and eggs. A vegetarian does not eat meat, including: red meat, game, poultry, fish, crustacean, shellfish, and products of animal slaughter such as animal-derived gelatin and rennet. There are a number of vegetarian diets.
- Lacto-vegetarian diet includes dairy products but excludes eggs.
- Ovo-vegetarian diet includes eggs but not dairy products.
- Lacto-ovo vegetarian diet includes both eggs and dairy products.
- Vegan diets excludes all animal products, such as dairy products, eggs, and honey.
Vegetarianism may be adopted for ethical, health, environmental, religious, political, cultural, aesthetic, economic, or other reasons.
- Semi-vegetarian diets consist largely of vegetarian foods, but may include fish, poultry, dairy products, and eggs. with these diets, the word "meat" is often defined as only mammalian flesh
- Pescetarian diet, for example, including fish but no meat. The common use confusion between such diets and vegetarianism has led vegetarian groups such as the Vegetarian Society to note that fish or poultry-based diets are not vegetarian, because fish and birds are animals.
- Always ask if there are any Vegetarian requirements when booking catering
- If you have vegetarians attending please clearly mark this on the catering booking form
- Mixed platters unless stated "vegetarian" will contain meat or fish
- We are always here to help so if you are unsure what to order please ring and we can discuss your requirements