Department for Curriculum and Quality Enhancement
Dr André Van der Westhuizen
Principal Lecturer in Higher Education
Curriculum and Quality Enhancement
Floor 2, Mercantile House
André Van der Westhuizen is a Principal Lecturer in Higher Education. She has joined the University of Portsmouth in 2004 where she has been supporting academic staff development. She has previously been involved in academic development in South Africa and has extensive experience in teaching and learning in HE and FE. She is a Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy.
André’s research interests focus on creativity in learning and teaching in higher education, academic leadership and higher education institutions as learning organisations and Logotherapy. She has more recently concentrated on professionalization in educational development, mentoring and meaning, the gaming generation’s observed changed learning styles and innovative teaching in open learning spaces.
André is a member of the SEDA Scholarship, Research and Evaluation Committee (2006 – present) and has previously been a member of the Staff and Educational Development Association (SEDA) Executive Committee (2007-2009). She is a member of the Victor Frankl Institute of Logotherapy, SEDA and the International Society for the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning (IS-SoTL).
André is also a member of the Editorial Board of Innovations in Education and Teaching International (IETI). She is the book reviews editor of IETI. She has been a committee member of the Ad Hoc Task Force for ISSoTL – 2008: A Report: International Code of Ethics for ISSoTL, and has also been a peer reviewer for papers submitted to IS-SoTL and EDC.
Areas of expertise
- Academic leadership and change
- Higher Education Institutions as Learning Organisations
- Professional Development (CPD)
- Flexible and creative learning and teaching
- Action Learning
- Mentoring and meaning
- Conference and Events Management
Networking; membership; professional bodies’ involvement
- Continued involvement with external professional networks and committees
- IETI (Innovations in Education and Teaching International): Editorial Board member
- IETI: Book Review Editor
- SEDA (Staff and Educational Development Association) - Individual membership
- SEDA -Research Committee (SRC): Committee member
- SEDA/SRC Awards, Review Panel: Member of the review panel
- Victor Frankl Institute of Logotherapy – Individual Membership
- IS-SoTL (International Society for the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning)Individual membership.
- IS-SoTL – Ethics committee: Ad Hoc Task Force – 2008 (A Report: International Code of Ethics for ISSoTL
- ILA (International Leadership Association)- Individual membership
- STLHE (Society of Teaching and Learning in Higher Education) - EDC (Educational Developers Caucus): Interest group membership
Van der Westhuizen, A., Verrill, P., Gamble, S. and Limpens, A. (Pending). Professionalising learning support for students: an impact study of the development of the expectations, role and practice of learning support tutors at a UK University. In: Bossu, C and Brown, N. (eds) Professional and Support Staff in Higher Education. Springer
Van der Westhuizen, A. (2015). In: Innovations in Education and Teaching International 52(3) (p345-346). Book review: Cleaver, E, Linten, M., & McLinden, M. 2014. Teaching and learning in higher education: disciplinary approaches to educational enquiry. London: Sage.
Recent Conference papers and workshops
- 2014: Surfacing the submerged: the Ubuntu principle in professional development. Poster. (A van der Westhuizen and P. Verrill). ICED- Educational Development in a Changing World, Stockholm, June 2014) - Poster accepted
- 2014: Paid to do and not to think: compliance versus creativity in professional development – 90 min workshop (A van der Westhuizen and P. Verrill). SEDA Spring Teaching Learning and Assessment Conference: Engaging Students: Engaging Staff, Newcastle, May 2014 – Paper accepted.
- 2010: Innovative Teaching in Open Learning Spaces: Reality or Fallacy? - 85 min workshop. ICED 28-30 June 2010, Barcelona - Enhancing Strategies for Global Quality Learning in HigherEducation.
- 2010: Learning and Teaching and the Games Generation: Does it Change How We Think and Do in Educational Development – 85 min workshop. ICED 28-30 June, 2010 Barcelona Enhancing Strategies for Global Quality
Conference papers reviewed
- EDC - Educational Development Caucus, conference papers for 2013; 2014; 2015 and 2016
- IS-SOTL- International Society for the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning conference papers for, 2008; 2012; 2013; 2014; 2015.
All other papers/publications may be found in PARADE/PURE where applicable