Department for Curriculum and Quality Enhancement
Personal Tutor Handbook - Student Support Services
Support for hardware and software queries and the use of core software packages is provided by a range of suppliers.
A range of different types of IT support is available. The following provides an overview:
- The IS website at Myport.ac.uk. contains a wealth of useful information and downloads.
- The IS Service Desk on 023 9284 7777 is available to students 24 hours a day, on every single day of the year.
- The Student IT Support Centre is open from 10am to 4pm on weekdays during term and helps with a very broad range of problems (including problems with student owned laptops).
- IT help is also available in the Library, Park, Portland, Richmond and Eldon IT suites.
- Student-run Computer Surgeries and Electronics surgeries are held in Anglesea 2.2 and 2.3. They provide support for all students in Microsoft Office applications, computer/netword configurations and advances computer programming. Fro more information see: http://www.port.ac.uk/departments/academic/eng/learningsupportservices/#SCS
- Some faculties offer specialist support to their own students. For example, The School of Computing Tutor Centre is situated within the Technology Learning Centre (TLC) on the ground floor of Lion Gate. This is run by computing staff and research students. They provide support for a range of applications for Computing students. There are also CCi Skills Tutors who provide help for CCi students wanting to learn standard software and hardware used by the creative industries - see www.port.ac.uk/departments/faculties/cci/cciskills/creative/
- Academic Skills Unit (Nuffield Building, firstname.lastname@example.org) provides support for IT skills such as Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Library IT skills – on request Library staff will help students with information literacy and some dedicated library software.
Print this page