Equality and Diversity
With students arriving at the University of Portsmouth from over 120 countries each year, and the University's commitment to widening participation in higher education attracting an ever-increasing variety of students - and indeed staff - understanding and accommodating their needs is essential to its continued success.
The Equality and Diversity unit undertakes a wide variety of work to achieve this. We offer:
- Advice, support and training for staff, to ensure the University meets not only its legislative requirements, but its commitment to create conditions where all staff and students are treated only on the basis of their merits and, abilities and potential.
- Access to policies, guidelines and the University Equality Objectives, which outline the ways in which we work to meet our equality and diversity requirements.
- Guidance during development and review of University policies, procedures and functions to ensure they don't disadvantage any group of staff, students, prospective staff, prospective students or graduates, and where possible improve equality of opportunity. This review is titled Equality Impact Analysis (EIA).
- Staff Networks, which enable staff from similar backgrounds to meet and discuss the issues affecting them, as well as offering a platform to initiate positive change in the University.
- Coordination and training of a Harassment Adviser Network to offer help and advice to students and staff who believe they may be a victim of bullying or harassment.
- Liaison with students, staff, other HE institutions and the wider city to help organise events and activities which celebrate diversity, inclusion and dignity & respect.
- An Equality and Diversity Moodle site for students
We also produce a comprehensive range ofl report reports detailing the University's performance on - and priorities regarding - equality and diversity within the institution covering both staff and students
The Team is based in, St Andrew's court Unit 2 Floor 1 Room 1.30. For further information please contact us.