Equality and Diversity
With students arriving at the University of Portsmouth from over 30 countries each year, and the University's commitment to widening participation in higher education attracting an ever-increasing variety of students - and indeed staff - understanding and accommodating their needs is essential to its continued success.
The Equality and Diversity Unit owns a number of policies, guidelines and equality schemes which outline the way in which it does this, as well as producing a comprehensive annual report detailing the University's performance on - and priorities regarding - equality and diversity within the institution.
It also undertakes a wide variety of work including:
- Advising and training staff to ensure the University meets not only its legislative requirements, but its commitment to create conditions where all staff and students are treated only on the basis of their merits and, abilities and potential.
- Facilitating a review of all University policies to ensure they don't disadvantage any group of staff, students, prospective staff, prospective students or graduates, and where possible improve equality of opportunity. This review is titled Equality Analysis-EqA and almost anyone in the University can get involved.
- Setting up and assisting the running of staff forums. These enable staff from similar backgrounds to meet and discuss the issues affecting them, as well as offering a platform to initiate positive change in the University.
- Coordinating and training Harassment Adviser Network to offer help and advice to students and staff who believe they may be a victim of bullying or harassment.
- Liaising with students, staff, other HE institutions and the wider city to help organise events which celebrate diversity, such as One World Week, as well as commemorate and inform upon our achievements as a people.
The Unit is based on the ground floor of unit three St Andrew's court. For further information please contact us, or for information about how you can get involved download the Get Involved (.pdf) leaflet.