Estates and Campus Services

Vehicles owned by Employees

It is the responsibility of every driver to make sure they have adequate insurance for their own private cars used for University business. This includes travelling between different sites.

Most private motor policies restrict use to social, domestic and pleasure purposes only. Employees using their own vehicles on University business will need to extend their personal insurance to include business use (including passenger cover). When completing your expenses claim (FIN 1) you are required to sign a declaration confirming appropriate cover is in place. There is often no charge for this extension. However, please be warned:

  • Some insurers provide quotations for social, domestic and pleasure purposes only, plus commuting to and from the employee’s normal place of work. This is not the same as “business use” and will not cover the occasional trip to a meeting elsewhere.
  • If you are named as a driver on someone else’s motor insurance (e.g. spouse), please check that business use is available to the appropriate person.

The University is unable to accept any liability in the event of an insurance claim being made. Further advice can be obtained from the Insurance Officer:

Anita Randell, Insurance Officer

University of Portsmouth
Finance Department,
University House,
Winston Churchill Avenue,
Portsmouth, PO1 2UP.

Tel: + 44 (0)23 9284 3308
Fax: +44 (0) 23 9284 3449