• Where can I find details of the University Liability Insurances?

    A copy of the current Certificate of Employers Liability Insurance, Public Liability To whom it may concern letter and Professional Indemnity to whom it may concern letter can be downloaded below:

    Certificate of Employers’ Liability Insurance

    Public Liability - To whom it may concern letter

    Professional Indemnity – To whom it may concern letter

    The University provides insurance to cover its employees during their normal course of employment:

  • What insurance arrangements are in place to cover the University Research and Innovation activities?

    Every project should have appropriate insurance(s) in place before it begins.

    The University of Portsmouth holds a number of Insurance Policies that aim to cover the normal educational, research and trading needs of the University. This includes research sponsored, managed, designed or conducted by, or on behalf of, the University (including research undertaken by students under supervision).

    Details of insurance cover


    Some research activities may require to be referred to the University’s Insurers before the research can commence. General advise if to always refer anything which falls into the categories below to the University Insurance Officer

    • Clinical trials or medical research that requires authorisation from the Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency under the Medicines for Human Use (clinical trials) regulations 2004 OR a clinical investigation requiring approval under the Medical Devices Regulations 2002.
    • Invasive investigations. (For the avoidance of doubt our public liability our insurers do not need to be advised of non-invasive investigation and /or venepuncture on human subjects including questionnaire or interview studies, taking blood samples, measurement of physiological processes using non-invasive methods, administration by mouth of foods or variation of diet, collection of body secretions or excretions for analysis by non-invasive methods, use of tissue samples).
    • Aviation and Aerospace projects.
    • Oil rigs and refineries.
    • Toxin, Poison or pollutant research or products.
    • Radioactivity or Nuclear research or products.
    • Asbestos research.
    • Contracts where the governing law is outside of the UK in particular North America.
    • If you intend to travel to higher risk destinations or undertake higher risk activities.
    • Research in Sanctioned territories which may require additional treasury approval.


    If your study requires no fault compensation (non-negligent harm) cover please let the Insurance Officer know as soon as possible as we do not currently purchase this cover.

  • What happens if someone claims that they have sustained loss or injury as a result of work that I have done?

    If that person is a member of the public, then the claim is a matter for our Public Liability insurance, and if the damage occurred as a result of a product that the University supplied, then this is a matter for our Products Liability insurance.

    If an accident or dangerous Occurrence occurs it is essential that the University Health and Safety Department are advised. Detail of how the report these types of incidents can be found on the Health and Safety web site

    Any communications received from third parties relating to claims or possible claims against the University must be forwarded unanswered to the University Insurance Officer immediately. It is It is imperative that no action is taken which could be construed as an admission of liability, therefore staff must not contact the third party or their legal representatives.

  • I am exhibiting at an external event and the organiser has asked for details of my Public Liability Insurance. What do I tell them?

    Sometimes organisations who like to check that the host establishment carries adequate insurance and ask for details of this. Please click here to download a liability letter.

    If you need to complete a form asking for insurance details that includes a disclaimer that you need to sign, it would be wise to check the wording with the Insurance Officer before you sign it.

    It is essential that a Risk Assessment is completed for the event. Details on how to do this can be found on the Health and Safety web site

  • I have a work experience person starting shortly in my department. Is this person covered by our insurance arrangements?

    Yes, our insurers regard work experience trainees to be employees for the purposes of our Employer's Liability Insurance.

    Employers Liability Certificate

    School Work Experience Placement Scheme. Please refer to the School Work Experince Placement Scheme on the Human Resources Web pages.

  • Are there any guidelines for Departments who are taking students on field trips?

  • Am I covered for non university activities?

    All University employees, which includes people working as though they were an employee, are covered by the University’s liability policies when they are carrying out the work that they have been contracted to do. If you are not an employee of University, eg if you are self employed or a contractor, you are not given protection by these policies. If you are an employee of the University but carrying out work outside your contract (such as private consultancy work or other work under your own name rather than under the name of the University) then you are not considered to be working on behalf of the University and will not be covered by the policy.

    If there is any aspect of your work that you feel could lead to a claim from another staff member, student or member of the public, then it is your duty to bring this to the attention of the University Insurance Officer.

  • I have been asked by the University to be a first aider. Am I insured?

    Yes – The University liability policy covers the provision of first aid within the University facilities or in the vicinity of University premises providing you have not acted beyond what is reasonably perceived as emergency first aid. For example putting somebody is the recovery position would be classed as first aid whereas a clinician giving oxygen to member of staff who has collapsed would not.

  • Are members of staff insured to work overseas?

    The University liability insurance policy automatically cover staff for temporary work overseas such as for research purposes.

    It is essential the University proceedures for travelling overseas are complied with.

    If a member of staff is intending to work overseas for more than 12 months or whose permanent place of work is outside the UK it is essential that the University Insurance Officer is notified as soon as possible prior to commencement of this role.

    The reason is that local country specific requirements may mean that insurance must be purchased in the country where the member of staff will be based. It is essential to allow sufficient time to arrange insurance cover to meet local legal requirements.

  • What about insurance for the University Offices in China and Malaysia?

    The University purchase local policies for both offices details of which can be obtained from the University Insurance Officer.