Student Placements

This section concentrates on the Insurance and Health and Safety aspects of Student placements.  It must be read in conjunction with the QMD pages.

It provides useful forms/guidance documents to assist placement co-ordinators/supervisors when approving placements both in the UK and overseas

Where can I find the Insurance and Health and Safety checklist/guidance notes?

Insurance and Health and Safety Checklist -UK Volunteering

The Health and Safety Checklist - UK Placements

Insurance and Health and Safety Checklist for Overseas Placements

Health and Safety Checklist Clinical Placements

Insurance and Health and Safety Guidance document

Health and Safety Checklist - Crown placements

Health and Safety Checklist - Apprentice



Where can I find information about the insurance required for student placements?

Please see ASET Guidance for Student Placements.

It is a University requirement that prior to commencement of placement, the placement provider completes the Insurance and Health and Safety Checklist for the work placement. This can be downloaded using the link above together with a guidance document explaining when the form needs to be referred to the University Insurance Officer or Health and Safety Manager.

Prior to placement it is important that the student is in a position to understand the risks and to make informed judgements

Why are placement providers asked to complete the Insurance and Health and Safety checklist?

The University has limited cover to protect it’s legal liability e.g. failing to assess suitability of placement.  It is an expectation that Insurance for the placement should be the responsibility of the placement provider and it is the University’s responsibility for ensuring that their insurance cover is current and adequate.

 If the placement company cannot provide confirmation that there is an equivalent policy or scheme in place to protect the student, then this gap in cover the Faculty Placement Department should explain this to the student because without an employer’s insurance policy or scheme to protect them the student is unlikely to receive any compensation from the company if they suffer an injury at work..  The guidance documents above provides sample wording

Are there any countries where placements are not permitted by the University?

All students travelling overseas must complete the Placement and Internship Risk Assessment.

Any placements to destinations which Travelguard deem to be “extreme risk” or the Foreign and Commonwealth Office advice against travel are NOT permitted.

Proposed placements to destinations which Travelguard classifies as high risk or where the student intends to undertake higher risk activities which should be referred to the University Insurance Officer to ensure adequate cover is in place.


The student should be encouraged to seek out further information and to consider the risks associated not only with the placement provider but with the environment in which they will live and socialise.

The Overseas placement and Internship Risk Assessment. - can be accessed HERE.

French Placements - What is the Convention de Stage

If a students wishes to undertake an internship in France, it is required by French law that the students completes a Convention de Stage.  This is a form required in French (but for insurance purposes, it is required to be in both French and English) and outlines the tripartite agreement between the University, the student and the firm or company where the placement/internship will take place.

The convention will detail: 

  • The date placement starts and finishes
  • Job Title
  • General Duties being undertaken
Please note that the University is not able to sign a Convention de Stage for a student whose registration period has expired.
We expect the host to provide Employers Liability Insurance for the placement student. The student will be provided with medical and personal liability insurance under the Travel Insurance policy provided by the University.
German Placements - What is Berufsgenossenschaften?
It is our understanding that comprehensive cover against work-related accidents and disease, including accidents on the way to and from work is provided by statutory professional co-operatives (Berufsgenossenschaften) as part of the social security system. 

When students are on placement in Germany the placement provider should be asked to confirm that our student will be covered under this system whilst on placement at their organisation?