Environmental induction for new staff
We'd like to take this opportunity to welcome you to the University, and to let you know that we are continuously working to reduce our carbon emissions; we will need your help to do this.
The University has a target to reduce our carbon emissions by 30% by 2016; this is our contribution to reduce the impacts of climate change. To achieve this target we work on energy, water and waste efficiency projects.
What you can do
- Join your departmental Green Impact team
- Turn off lights and equipment when not in use
- Report dripping taps/leaky toilets to email@example.com
- Keep fit by walking or cycling to work
- Take advantage of our Cycle to Work scheme and sustainable travel discounts, including 15% off rail travel
- Use the food waste bins for any uneaten food (but not packaging)
- View more tips
- Watch the winning video from our Green TV student short video competition to find out more about sustainability
Most departments have a Green Champion; they are your first point of call for any environmental queries. Find your nearest Green Champion (or find out how to become one).
The University of Portsmouth is ISO 14001 certified, which means we have an Environmental Management system in place that helps control our impacts on the environment.
We have an Environmental Policy and Codes of Practice for all staff; by following the codes you’ll contribute to reducing our carbon emissions and associated environmental impacts.
- Energy & Carbon Reduction: All staff and students, please follow this Code and reduce your energy use.
- Sustainable Travel: All staff, students and visitors, please follow this Code to help improve air quality, reduce carbon emissions and get healthy.
- Recycling & Waste Management: All staff, students and visitors, please follow this Code to reduce waste, increase the use of the recycling facilities and dispose of all waste correctly.
- Sustainable Procurement: All staff, please follow this Code whenever purchasing on behalf of the University.
- Sustainable Construction: All staff, please follow this Code when requesting refurbishment and/or construction. All construction and maintenance staff; please follow this Code when planning the design and/or use of buildings.